Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Am Jazz 5 vs. MIM Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Jan 29, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have the Mexican bass, which I really like. Plays great, sounds great etc.

Walked into a local shop today and they are selling off a brand new Am Jazz 5 for $600.

I didn't get much time with it as I was in a hurry, but the B string seemed to sustain better than on my Mexi bass.

Anyone have experience with these two to comment on whether getting the American made bass (with graphite in the neck and strings through the body bridge) is worth a few hundred $$ after I sell off the Mexi J5?

Thanks!

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's a really good price for an American Standard V. I wonder if it's new old stock (NOS)? I have one and I really like it a lot. It has graphite reinforcement in the neck that the Mexican ones lack. Also, different pickups (maybe), string through body, and alder body (older MIMs were poplar, new ones are alder - both woods sound and perform fine IMO).

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I suggest you put a new set of strings on your MIM & go to the store & do a side by side comparison. That's the only way to really tell differences.

If you liked the MIA that much, I would buy it & use the MIM as a back up or a bass with alternate tuning. i.e. EADGC

Good luck.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's a great price!!!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    yah that is $500 is a great price...

Personally I would buy a Kingston with that $500.. just IMHO. I have never played a Fender with a good B yet. (never tried RB and the FMTs)

DM

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks folks...(and keep the comments coming). The store has a 30 day return policy so I might just pick it up and try it out for a while...

As for a backup...I also have a Soundgear 6 string and a fretless 5 so I really don't need two fretted 5s...nor do I have room for them.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually it was $600. Still a great price.