Fender AM Jazz Bass Deluxe Truss/Weather question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 13, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002

In the Wintertime, when I gig with this bass, what can I expect in terms of neck movement when I take it out of my car, walk 4 blocks to the gig in 20 degree weather, get inside a steamy, humid hot club, and play 2 hours later? Will the relief return to where I had it set in my 70 degree AC apartment? If so, how much lead time do I need to let it return back to the relief I oh-so-careful-with-feeler-gauges-and-straight-edge dialed in?

And YES I CAN feel a difference between .015 which is where I have it and .018 so don't even go there Brad :D

Thanks guys and gals!
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Leave it at home. :)

I never had a problem with my Fender USA standard Jazz Bass back in my old regular gigging band, but my standards are surely lower than yours so what is fine for me could very well be unacceptible to you. I would recommend highly that you use the case or a really well insulated gig bag.
  3. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I believe your MIA Jazz delux should have a graphite reinforced neck. Granted that's not as impervious to weather and temp as a full graphite neck, but it should be more resistant than a regular neck. I don't think you'll see to much change when you take it out of the case. I play up here in Minnesota and winters get pretty darn cold. If I take me axe out of the case and put it on a stand, it gets to room temp in under an hour. probably closer to a half.