1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Am Standard P vs Lakland Skyline 44-64 BG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happyg, Dec 7, 2011.

1. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    First, let me begin by saying "Thank you" in advance. I have narrowed my choice to the two above mentioned basses and could use a little help.

I have listened to sound clips, used the search function, watched You Tube clips, and feel that I have done my research. I will NOT disclose the prices, but they came from board sponsors who knocked the bottom out.:D That is the reason for this post.

Both basses are new and are with in $30 of each other. I know that I would be happy with either one. Maybe the better question is which would you choose?

The American Standard Fender P is a classic for a reason, but that Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub is really calling out to me as well. This is my first bass, and I'm having a tough time making this decision. I'm hoping that you can give a newbie a little guidance. Thank you once again.

Happy

2. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    my opinion is, the lakland. the 44-64 imo is the best p bass out there. for me, if i bought the fender or the lakland i would change the p/u anyway. so i go for what feels the best. not that the fender or the lakland p/u's aren't good, they really are. i just have a certain sound that i like so i use different p/u's.

just get the one you like better.

3. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    i also feel the QC, and CS is superior with lakland.

4. I own several P-basses, all Fenders. The 2008 and newer Fenders are great, and there is something to be said about owning a P-bass from the company that invented them.

But every Lakland I've played has been wonderful, and there is something to be said about buying a bass that you won't find at every music store.

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I played and endorsed Lakland basses for years and a few years back I would have 100% said go with the Lakland. But in the past few years with the price increases and other changes I think that they are no longer the killer deal that they once were. It's at a point where you are comparing an imported Indonesian bass with a US made one price-wise. That's not to say that I think that imports aren't good because I think many are (Skylines included). It's just my opinion that at the same price point the US Fender will win. If the Skyline was a few hundred less I think it would be an unbeatable deal. But at this price point absolutely go with the Fender.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

+1, except the part about playing and endorsing Lakland...

- georgestrings

7. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I've never played A Lakland, but they have a pretty killer rep on this board.
    But, if I were choosing, the American Standard Fender would be my choice. USA made ftw, imho.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I had a Fender, bought a Lakland as a backup, traded the Lakland for another Fender, and am now happy.

Fender.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    For what it's worth, the 2008 and newer Fender MIA P's are all fantastic instruments. The Laklands are also really nice, but the Fenders have been nothing short of incredible in recent years.

10. That's a tough call, being as close in price as they are.

If it were my decision, it would be the Fender over the Skyline - US made versus the import, and you can't get the Lakland in Candy Cola.

11. i have a 2008 American Pbass and it is killer. Definitely the way to go.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The bridge on the Lakland has always been the dealbreaker for me. Ugly sink drain looking thing ;)

13. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I've got a Skyline Duck Dunn - which is essentially the same bass, and its one of the most comfortable basses I've played. I'm also a big Fender fan, but when I had the choice a few years ago there were plenty of American P-basses out there for about the same price (my Lakland was $750), I just liked the feel of the Duck better than any of them.

Another thing to consider is customer support. American Fenders have far fewer issues that require it than Mexican ones, but Lakland's service is second to none.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized that the Duck has a 1-1/2" nut, and the Glaub is 1-3/4". Most would prefer the smaller nut width, but I think I'd actually like the wider Glaub better. Regardless, I'm very happy with my Duck.

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  14. Can't lose either way, but I'll take the US Fender. IF the skyline were 100 bucks or more cheaper, that would win hands down, but for the similar price I want the US bass. Headstock looks a little better too, IMO.

15. JonPol

JonPol

May 19, 2009
    San Diego
    ash or alder body? Skylines use ash for their body woods and fender uses alder. Not a huge sonic difference, but ash is a bit heavier.

16. Skylines don't have an alder option. Don't know about you but that's a deal breaker for me.

mikecd1 likes this.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have only held Laklands in my hands, they seem very solid and nicely finished but, I love my AM Precision and Precision V. Both were bought new by me.

18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I have several of each, and feel you can't go wrong with either one. If I only could have one, I would probably go with the Fender simply for a slightly higher resale value.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I agree, the new MIA P-bass are great.
    And as of 2008, better than the Skyline Lakland.
    Just buy a USA Lakland, and call it a day.

20. lfbassguy

lfbassguy

Jul 4, 2010
    west texas
    With my experience, I think the skylines are better than mia fenders right now. The last 2 brand new mia fenders I looked at in the store had maxed out truss rods, I've seen too many bumps and twisted necks on them and the last mia fender I bought had to get a fret level job. I think they do still have good ones out there, I think you still have to look through the wood pile though. I think the skylines get more attention to them before they leave the chicago factory.