Fender Am Standard vs. Am Vintage 62RI J-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotRoded, Jun 15, 2005.

1. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    I plan to buy a Jazz bass, and hesitate between those 2.

Here is why:

I prefer the tone of the American vintage '62 RI
    I can change the pups on the MIA for some CS'60, would that give me the same kind of tone? The finish is not the same, so I guess this probably also alter the tone.

The American Standard has a graphite reinforced neck, and the truss rod is adjustable without removing the neck (unlike the '62RI). I like low action, and I know, since I have a MIA P- I relatively often have to adjust it a little bit.

Any thought apreciated.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    While I understand truss rod adjustment is a pain on the '62 RI I'd get one anyway. I like the neck a whole lot better and I'd be playing it a lot more that I'd be adjusting the truss rod.
  3. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maybe it is possible to make a notch in the pickguard to adjust it like on an AM serie? anyone knows?
  4. You are not going to be tweaking the truss rod very often, and Fenders are built to be taken to bits.

If you like the 62 go for it. A crucial difference between modern and vintage style necks is reinforcement. The modern reinforced necks are stiffer with a more definite tone and an easier, more reliable action (generally! I'm not saying you can't get easy action on a vintage bass!). Vintage necks are not reinforced and tend to have a much more open, rounder tone. This makes a significant contribution to the sound.