Fender Amer Deluxe JAZZ vs. PRECISION (4 string)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulorr, May 18, 2007.

1. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Is the American Deluxe Precision bass a P-Bass when you want it and a Jazz Bass when you want it, or not quite?

If you had to decide between an American Deluxe Jazz Bass and an American Deluxe Precision Bass, what would you do?

I tried the jazz bass and it was amazing but the store did not have a precision bass. They would have to order it and I am not about to order something without hearing it or talking to someone who has played on both of them.

Thanks .....

Paul

2. saxabass

saxabass

Feb 19, 2007
    Jazz, because soloing the neck pick up gives you a bit of a P-Bass sound (and a lot of noise...)

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    A Jazz bass is NEVER going to sound like a P Bass and vice versa. I have owned both and found that I prefer the Jazz bass.

4. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Can the jazz bass give that p-bass growl, for lack of a better word?

Its almost that the jazz is more versatile. Agree?

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Of the two, I strongly recommend the Am. Deluxe Jazz, especially with the 18v preamp and SCN pickups. I think it's an outstanding modern/active interpretation of the Jazz, regardless of price (I've played Sadowsky, Lull, Pedulla, and probably others I can't recall), and even though I prefer passive I'd be perfectly happy with one.

On the other hand, I think the Am. Deluxe Precision doesn't do as well with Precision sounds as the Jazz does with Jazz sounds, and IMO that bridge humbucker doesn't sound as beefy as it looks. Granted, I haven't played one with the 18v pre (had and sold one with the 9v), and I'm sure dropping in a better P pickup would help. Even with those qualifications, I still think the J is better overall. I'd prefer a two pickup StingRay or Sterling too.

6. the jazz is the one with the growl...the p-bass is the one with the "thump".

In general terms that is.

It also seems to be the standard that everyone wants to emulate or get close to. That "P-Bass thump". Or what have you...

Ok, not "everyone".

7. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I think I am going for the Amer Deluxe Jaxx bass and at a later time the American Vintage Reissue 62 precision bass. I like the feel and sound of the jazz bass .... and the reissue is just plain beautiful.

8. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I have an American deluxe P (the ash version) and had an American deluxe J a couple of years back. The jazz was pretty good. It was my one and only bass for about 5 years then got on a crazy with trading binge after I found this place and the pit and traded it just to experience other basses. Kind of wish I had it back. The P bass deluxe bass that I have now I got on trade and initially didnt like it. The stock pre IMHO is just not all that great. I put a U retro in it and now I can't put the thing down!

John

100_0876.jpg

100_0868.gif

9. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007

10. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Thanks! To try to answer your original question. Now that the retro is in it, it can do P bass a lot better than it could before due mainly I believe to the passive tone control. However if you want an absolute P bass sound you'll have to just get a good old passive P bass. Same with the J the P bass deluxe can somewhat do a J but really even with the stock pre IMHO its its on thing all together. This thing is a hybrid in terms of sound, to me it sounds more akin to an L2k now that it has the retro. I put a full review on the retro forum at the pit though I'm probably the last person that needs to give a review.

John

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1!

I own an ADPV, and IMHO, having played many P's, the ADP does a great P sound.

Also, the bridge pickup doesn't sound "beefy" simply because of it's location. It's super close to the bridge, but I personally like that, because it gives lots of great bite and a really nice modern edge to the slap tone. If I want beef while soloing the bridge pickup, I just add some bass and it's all there. However, I should note that mine is one of the discontinued 5-string models, and word on the street is those are Bill Lawrence pickups, and are different than the pickups on the 4-string model. Also, rumor has it at least part of the reason for the 5's discontinuance is the BL deal ended somehow.

However, my favorite overall sound on these is blended just slightly favoring the bridge pickup, with my second favorite sound being the P pickup solo'd for a really nice woody organic P tone.

I'm (obviously) a big fan of the ADP's, and they really work great in a full band mix as well as recording. Some don't like the native preamp, but I personally think it fits the bass really well, and have great luck getting nice sounds using it.

That said, I'm also a big fan of the ADJ's, I actually have a couple different ones with me right now, one will be with me for a little while for an "extended eval" (and a bit more). I'm pretty sure an ADJ is also in my future. :)

12. I agree with Vic. I've played a '96 MIA Deluxe P as my main axe for more than 10 years and it's probably the single most versatile bass I've ever played. I get a killer P-bass tone with the neck pup solo'd and the doublebucker offers a great array of usable tones, both by itself and when mixed with the P-pup. BUT, IMHO, it will get a fairly good Jazz-like tone, not a great one. If you want killer, dead-on P-bass and J-bass tones, I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that you must own two basses, not one.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

13. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    So I take these do not have an active/passice switch. That would have been cool.

I like the build quality these guitars.

I would like to one day get an amer vintage reissue 62 p bass, so I thought I would go with the amer deluxe jazz after having read the posts. Hmm ... wonder if that is such a good idea now ....

paul

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I've owned them both, they're great basses. I sold the P (to get a MM Sterling) and kept the J... but I do miss the P sometimes! My J has an Audere preamp in it now. It is a killer bass, even better than when original. The previous posters have described the two basses very accurately. I believe Fender is seriously updating these models as we speak. :)

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Correct, and agreed!

I've even thought of looking into putting one in on my own, but to be honest, I can't remember the last time a battery died on me at a show. I change strings fairly regularly, and I check the battery almost as regularly.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You've got it backwards. The P-bass is for thump, the J for growl. I'd go with the J-bass, although I will say that the American Deluxe Precision V is the best sounding P-bass I've played, because the bridge pickup will give some of the growl that you might get from the J. It's not the same, though. And I don't like P-basses at all.

17. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I've got the 62 AVRI of both J and P. Not similar at all. Like stated above. P for thump, and J for growl. You know what? For a bar band or a party band, it doesn't make 2 cents difference! Play the one you like. No one gets any more caught up in the "tone quest" than me, but really, it's a load of crap.

18. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    I was thinking about an American Vintage P-Bass. I love the looks, I like the nitro finish, I like the appointments. Never played one, but I have an AV Tele and Strat 6 strings and they are both top notch.

How is the American Vintage J-Bass? I believe it was at TB review that one person was very disappointed in it.

One thing I do know is I have become quite anal about this quest for the altimate maximum bass. I picked up a 2007 MIM P-Bass and put a tortoise pickguard on it and it sure looks and plays good. But oh I can't seem to leave good enough alone. Gotta have that maximium bass. Problem is I refuse to spend thousands on one bass, and the Amer Deluxe series and the American Vintage series are within my strike zone financially.

So tell me about those AV basses. Do you like them better than the American Deluxe series, assuming you have played them? Are the AV pickups whimpy in comparison?

Please share your thoughts.

Paul

19. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    The AVRI Jazz plays and sounds great. ITs got that jazz tone, and the quality is very good. If your hell bent on the ultimate tone,...

Get a BONGO

20. if a nice slap tone is what u are after than the P kills
    the jazz just didn't seem to have enough "pop" to me, and when u slap some ernie ball slinkies on an American Deluxe P, it owns

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021