Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Amercian Deluxe Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SALT.Shaker, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Hey guys! I need some input from some knowledgable soul about their experiences with the American Deluxe series of basses from Fender with active pickups vs. the American series with the passive pickups. I'm looking for a Jazz bass for studio work and like the features of the American Deluxe, but I'm unsure of its quality since it is a new line of basses from Fender. Any input?
    Also....check out www.mp3.com/saltshaker for our latest work "Wrapped Around You".

2. Walkabout711

Walkabout711

Sep 30, 2002
    Ma.
    I have that exact bass, i like it a lot, i would say to go for it if... you are going to play jazz.
    If slap is your prefence the pickups are in the wrong place but it has a great sound i love mine

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The electronics are active on the deluxe, not the pickups. The pickups on both the standard and the deluxe are passive.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Jazz Deluxe line is over five years old. Nice basses.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I use one of these as my main bass, so obviously, I like it a lot. I can get classic J-bass tones with it for recordings and live use.

(FWIW: If you buy new, ditch the Fender strings for a brand you believe will have a better B-string.)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I really dig the American Deluxe series. All the ones I've played have been top notch in tone and playability. I like em. Find a used one for a great price.

brad cook

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My American Jazz Deluxe V is a 1994. However, it's quite a different beast from the current models. Here's a pic. It's got no stinkin' pickguard, and the pickups are Fender Lace Sensors. Kubicki-designed electronics.

[​IMG]

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think that was the Jazz Bass Plus V, Munjibunga, not the Deluxe.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm 99.999999 percent certain it's an American Jazz Bass Deluxe V. Can you give me some documentation to the contrary? I hate to be mis-informed. Thanks.

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    a friend has the same bass but in black.

and that it's a plus.

is it yours with downsized headstock and "futuristic" jazz logo on the headstock?

11. I just sold a Roscoe Beck that I had been playing on and off for 3 yrs. I sold it because I was not comfortable with the neck. The neck on the Roscoe is basically the same dimentions as the Jazz V. Now, why would recommend the Roscoe over the Jazz V? 1st of all the Roscoe sounds more like a "Jazz" bass than does the Jazz V. Especially the Jazz V deluxe. The difference is the pickups. The Roscoe pups are tapped double coil. When they are set to Single coil and the tone control is pulled up, it nails that "Jazz" bass sound better than any 5 string I've heard. You can configure the pickups into any number of single/double-series/parallel combinations to create bunches of tone variations. So before you decide, try a Roscoe Beck, you may find it more to your liking. jmho