1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender america cmon now

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike phillips, Jun 10, 2007.

1. played a new mia that just didnt sound right. took the plate off and the wires to the jack was cold soldered. loose as can be. played another new mia today and hey the bridge pick up didnt work. i didnt take this one apart, just gave it to the manager there. $1000.+ for these bases and there is problems...with a brand new out of the box bass. what gives mia people? did the quality control people get laid off? nuthin against fender i still love my geddy.

2. Its been like that for a few years.

Hence why so many people are moving over to MIJ/CIJ, where they seem to have pretty top notch QC (compared to MIJ/CIJ)

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Try out a Lakland Skyline,
    then you won't have to
    post a thread like this!;)

EB/

4. dblbass

dblbass Commercial User

Mar 24, 2007
    Beacon, NY
    Owner of MBJ guitars, Maker of fine sawdust for Carl Thompson Guitars
    While i dont have much experiance with laklands, the experiance i've had has been mostly negative. The basses i tried did sound good but thats pretty much where the positive stoped. They were heavy, didnt balance and the reach to the first fret was huge. but i guess if you dig that stuff then go for it.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Well it seems that you prolly referring to 5 string = 35" scale
    heavier than a 4 string,I'm alluding to J's and P's..

Here's my perfectly balanced,9 lbs Duck Dunn:D

EB/

6. MIA Fenders have had QC issues for YEARS. It's pretty pathetic, IMO.

If I was in the market, I'd choose a CIJ first (personally).

7. i want my next bass to be a ric

8. I want a lakland like that one... :bawl:

9. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Ive also noticed a big drop in their quality the past few years. Some MIAs I have played have been okay but for the most part they have been junk. The funny thing is their cheaper stuff has gotten better.

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Probably a stupid question but where are the Geddys made?

11. If you think about it, it's not a surprise, since they do mass production with some cool modern technolocig features (I mean, on the plants where they do them). No wonder why Japanese Fenders are so popular, Japan delivers quality to everything they do.

12. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Japan, as far as I know.

13. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Yeah the Geddys are from Japan.

Im a big fan of the MIJ stuff. I have an 87 P and a 90s J. Awesome stuff. I have noticed as they both have gotten older the pups arent as loud. Winding maybe?

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Funny. My Geddy had a crap solder - brand new out of the box. One pickup wasn't working. For me, like most of us, it was a 5-second diagnosis, and a quick touch with the iron and things were fine. But, it goes to show that there're no givens given COO (Country of Origin).
    I've never had a single electrical problem on any guitars I've purchased from Mexico, Korea or Indonesia.

15. Out of curiosity, where are you playing these MIA Fenders? In all of the shops that I've gone to and played Fenders, the worst thing I experienced was the bass needing a set-up.

16. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    LOL...this is such a BS thread...Just a nother Fender Bashing....Next thread it's going to be get an american they are better made...This should go until at least 7 pages..If it gets heated enough...maybe 10..

17. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    About 50 of them :bag:

18. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If I were to get a Jazz bass it would be a Lakland Skyline. If I wanted a Fender Jazz, it would be a Geddy.

19. that's sad....

Gibson recently trashed its own rep due to poor quality...now Fender is doing the same....

I think this is disgraceful...Although, I don't have to many concerns about minor quality issues in basses, it's purely because I can take care of anything electronic, and minor setup issues myself...

but if I'm paying $1000+ for a bass ($1500+ in Australia for a MIA Fender), I'd want it to be in really fine condition....period..

20. This is such a BS thread? I personally have played a few fenders that i have liked and alot which have been pretty crappy. Its a thread noting the continuing dropping in QC standards of the MIA instruments, that is all.

If it was fender bashing it would hardly be saying that the MIJ/CIJs are worth getting would it :p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021