Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American 57 Precision Bass - $600

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Jazzman, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I am selling my 1997 Fender American Vintage Series '57 Precision Bass. The original hard shell case (center latch is broken) and 'case candy' is included. The bass features a one piece maple neck, alder body with two-tone sunburst finish, and a gold anodized pickguard. I am also including a black/white/black pickguard that was made for this bass by Pickguardian.

This bass is in great condition, yet shows playing wear which you would expect for a seven year old bass. I played the bass frequently and took good care of it, yet I did not baby it. The finish has small dings and chips here & there. The neck has one ding on the back and several nicks around the peg head. Almost all of these blemishes can't be seen from a few feet back. There is also slight oxidation on the hardware - primarily the bridge saddles and pickup pole pieces. The frets are like new because I play flatwounds.

I am selling the bass because it doesn't get enough use to justify keeping it around. I am mostly playing upright these days and when I do go for an electric, it is my Sadowsky.

I am asking $600 plus shipping (zip code 05641). Email me at chris@brusabass.com if you are interested.

[​IMG]

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    BTTT - and no trades please.

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    "No trades" means no partial trades either. ;)

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Any takers at $550 + shipping?

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    BTT.

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    BTT - come on guys, this is a great playing and sounding bass...I don't want to have to eBay this beast.

7. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    BTT

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    What planet am I living on where this hasn't sold yet..for $550? Right now on Musiciansfriend.com this exact same bass costs $1254.39.

If I had the coin, I'd buy this, clean it up and sell it on Ebay for $875 in two days flat to somebody in France, Germany or the UK.

You....reading this...yeah YOU....if you don't buy this, you're HIGH.

9. basstodave

basstodave Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2002
    arizona
    PM sent Chris

10. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You can see some pictures I took a few minutes ago of the P-bass below. They are "undoctored" in my best attempt to show the true condition of it. Pleaes keep in mind, I did circle the ding on the neck in red and draw an arrow to it so that you can see where it is located.

It is shown with the black guard, but I will also be including the original gold anodized guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    Don't Ebay it yet...I've been looking for a 62RI...it appears from Fender's site the PU(maybe) and the maple fretboard is the only real difference. They both have small vintage frets...7.25" radius...nitro finish..."Fender vintage bridge and reverse tuners..."

So...the PU...it's weird-Fender's site says the custom shop only makes one custom shop "vintage" P PU, that's only available "as an OEM on American Vintage Series basses and Custom Shop basses"...yet the description for this one says it's a "57 split single coil" and the 62 says what the CS says-just "vintage split single coil P PU". I don't suppose you've played one of the 62s...?

Fender's sound clips are annoying...62 sounds great-nice little fingerstyle riff...then the 57 is PICKED!! I mean, it sounds fine for a picked part, I guess, but not great for comparing.

The 62 is a little on the dark side-but still articulate. Does that make sense.

Anyway...drop me line before you go to Ebay with it. Address in profile or:

Langsongs AT yahoo.com :hyper: :bassist:

12. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Weight?

13. Popmann

Popmann

Sep 8, 2004
    Twangville
    Kinda depends on whether the case is the original tweed or if it's present at all...

14. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The case is original - tweed with a fuzzy red interior.

The bass weighs in at 8.5 lbm on the bathroom scale.

Any more questions?

15. Very nice bass. If it was white blonde I'd snatch it in a second!

16. Marc H.

Marc H. Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks...

17. PM sent Chris.......

18. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have responded to all emails and PM's...the bass is not spoken for yet.

19. PM'd in return......

20. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The bass has been sold. ;)