1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American '75 Jazz Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mark beem, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Did a search but didn't really find what I was looking for.. Thinking this may be my next purchase. Anyone have one?

Thoughts?

Pros?

Cons?

[​IMG]

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I used to have one. I traded it on my Jazz Deluxe V. Looks goods, sounds good, feels good. The only con was the predictable dead spot on the g string. I regret getting rid of it.

3. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i have one. imo it is a great bass. i like the fact that the bridge pickup is a little closer to the bridge than on the mia series or the 62 ri. i think you get more growl. if you want a jazz, you can't go wrong with this bass. but you can't go wrong with a 62 ri or an mia either. the 75 is a slightly different flavor. peace, jeff.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i own one and its my main axe. I love it.

Pros - Great aggresive and bright tone (due to 70s pickup spacing, ash body, maple board). The slap tone is AMAZING. The fingersyle tone is aggresive and really cuts through the mix. The build qualtiy is excellent, all the components are A+. Nice thin neck plays like a dream. Looks awesome (love the blocks, binding and all natural body).

Cons - To some the tone might be a little thin compared to an alder (60s pickup spacing) jazz. The polyurethane finish on the neck takes some getting used too (some think its "slippery").

Great Bass. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

5. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been looking at the exact same bass for the last two days! I've got the MIA '62 RI Jazz, and it's a fantastic bass... I'm really most in need of a 5-string, but that '75 RI keeps calling me! ... I'd love a 5-string 35" '75 RI... :cool:

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, since I'm not a Fender fan I can't say I've played it, but that's undoubtfully the best-looking Fender to me.

7. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    That bass looks like it is completely at ease with its woodenness. I will try to emulate, Sensei.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I didn't already own the best Fender Jazz ever made (a 98 MIA), I'd get a 75 reissue. I played one recently that was a million times better than any real 75 I've ever played.

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I looked a one of those, but I prefer active basses. I bought a Marcus Miller sig. There is nothing between them playability wise
    and the MM was a lot cheaper.

10. chenor

chenor

Sep 5, 2006
    NYC
    I happen to own the 75 Jazz Bass Reissue and let me tell you, it is one fine bass. I can describe the tone as being aggressive as stated before and very "tight". It can definitely cut it in the mix and the neck is really stable and it is a fast player. I've barely had to adjust the neck even between switching string sets. As markjazzbassist said, some may find the tone to be a little thin but i think it really depends on finger positioning. If you play right over the neck pickup you can get a pretty warm sound out of it. I think that strings also will affect the tone of this instrument. Right now I'm using D'adarrio XL's 45-105 and they sound pretty good to me. I've got a set of DR Fat beams that i just bought that i can't wait to put on. IMO it's one of the better basses that Fender is producing right now. I hear that the 62 RI is a good bass as well. But yes, the ash body and maple neck really make a nice tight and aggressive tone that will definitely cut through in a mix. The only gripe i have with this bass is that there is a deadspot on the 5th fret of the G string. It's not a big deal really, overall it's still an excellent bass.

11. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Agree with all the above comments. Great slapper, tight and bright finger style, looks killer.

Better construction and tone than any real 70s Fender (4) I have owned.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I played one at a music store. It needed a setup but I could tell there was a hell of a bass there.

13. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    NO NO NO NO NO!!

You guys have it all wrong!! You're supposed to tell me how TERRIBLE they are so I WON'T go out and get one!!!

:help:

:cool: :D

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You do know this is talkbass, right?

15. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    "I'd get a 75 reissue. I played one recently that was a million times better than any real 75 I've ever played".

I beg to differ. I OWN the real McCoy and I can tell you that while the '75 RI is indeed a very nicely made bass, it doesn't represent the original '75 Jazzes that well to me, visually nor in tone.

First off, the Logo is wrong for a '75. They're using the "S" series Logo, instead of the proper CBS "TV" Big Block Logo. 2nd, black blocks weren't available in '75 Jazzes, only MoP's on Rosewood or Maple F/Bs. The Pup spacing is correct on them, but they're now using hotter pups than the originals as well, giving it a brighter, more modern than "vintage" sound. (I love the RI's tone in either case.)

I installed a J-Retro in mine and I have both, passive and active. She's a hefty 10 Lbs, but plays wonderfully.

16. Pssst... Valenti.

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006

18. are they not hotter because the pickups are new? Give the RI pickups about 30 more years, and they will be how you like them ;)

19. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Can't Fender even copy their own stuff right?

20. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Thanks, this is good info. That'd steer me towards the 62ri for playability :)