Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American and standard: what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolsnow7, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    I know, stupid nooby question. But I'm trying to convince someone to get an American and not a standard. They're saying "is it really worth 500$?" I'm thinking it is, but as I don't know the exact difference between the two, I can't exactly answer that. Anyone want to help? And if the answer is that American is better made, don't answer.

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    since no one gave this a try....
    the st model is made im mexico. The pickups, hardware and electronics are basically the same (along with the body and neck) as the highway 1 series. Soooooo, if you are trying to convince them on getting a highway one against a standard jazz, there's no point. Now, if you are putting the st vs the american series, well, then that's a different story. The tuners are mader in germany, the bridge is like 400% better, the neck has graphite reinforcement, pups are nicer, it comes with an skb case... if you have the 1000 it takes to get the american series, buy it. If you only have like 500 bucks, you are better off getting the mim than the highway 1 (made in usa)

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The bridge is also string thru the body with adjustable side to side string spacing, you get a choice between maple or rosewood neck (only rosewood for the standard). The newer series bass has the s1 switch. you get premium colors (some translucent) better electronics, thicker neck front to back at headstock, straplock ready, "t" wrench, allen wrench for bridge, strap and instrument cord inside case. This bass needs nothing in turns of future upgrades!

4. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    I think you have your names mixed up Fender makes an American Standard and a Mexican standard. Standard meaning there are no active electronics in the bass. The oppssite would be the deluxe which is also made in in America or Mexico.
    I happen to own both an American deluxe Jazz and a Mexican Deluxe Jazz and the difference is a from Toyota to a Lexus. The american has top notch construction and feels like a different instrument.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

the american is made in the US(obviously) so you might think that people in the states are better people at making basses than the rest of the world(they just have higher slaries, and probably more skill). the standard is made in mexico(not to far from the states, and they still are good at making basses). they should really make a line of fenders from canada. they would almost as inexpensive as the mexican ones but as good as the american ones.

6. Jazzin'

ur a little wrong, standard means MIM, american means MIA.
    heres some proof. fender basses
    and deluxe means that its active, not deluxe means that its passive. but i think there are some deluxes that are still passive or both.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    This is just so wrong.

The American made basses are priced higher because they are built from better parts and the quality control is higher. The Mexican made basses are produced using as many cost saving measures as is possible. The MIM basses generally aren't made from the same woods as MIA basses. Less care is taken in selecting woods for the MIM basses. So, you may get a good piece of lumber or maybe not.

Overall, it is simply an issue of quality control. Reducing the time that Fender needs to spend checking and repairing flaws results in a lower cost. Since Fender is an American company, it only makes sense that they produce the higher-end instruments close to home.

BTW, it certainly is possible to build higher-end instruments in Mexico. Mexico is a nation of fine people. There are many talented and skilled people in Mexico capable of producing excellent quality instruments.

8. widefat

widefat

May 2, 2004
    Tralfamadore
    I think any reasonable person would agree that the MIA is higher quality then the MIM.
    The real question is, is the MIA worth paying twice what the the MIM costs.

9. Jazzin'

well i wasnt wrong, you were just more right ;)

10. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Jazz seems like you have some country issues or something Im not giving and an opinion...Im stating facts the mim delux doesnt have the same level of quality thus making them cheaper you should know that since your good at looking at websites. Also there isnt anything wrong about what I wrote. Show me where the is a Fender standard (MIA or MIM) that has active electronics.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That depends on the person buying. I'm not willing to spend $4000 on a bass, but some people are.

I am willing to spend the money for an MIA, but others aren't.

It is all a matter of what your personal preferences are.

12. Jazzin'

first of all, standards are only from mexico, and heres a standard which has active electronics, its a standard deluxe.
    Deluxe Active Jazz Bass theres more

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No. The MIA series is referred to as "American Standard". Thus, not ALL "standards" are from Mexico. Standard means just that -- the standard. No frills (well, on MIA's you get S1 switching now), passive electronics. Hence, American Standard.

14. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    But Jazz that that link isnt proving your point it only says "The time-tested features of our Standard Jazz Bass"

15. Jazzin'

Standard=MIM
    American=MIA
    Deluxe=Active electronics(some might be both active and passive)
    Not deluxe=Passive electronics

16. Jazzin'

it says...
    Deluxe Active Jazz Bass®

The time-tested features of our Standard Jazz Bass, combined with deluxe pickups and active electronics, give the Deluxe Active Jazz Bass extra versatility for the gig.

all the other deluxes also have active electronics, while if it isnt deluxe, it will have passive electronics.

17. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    Jazz your funny the more you try to prove your point the more you prove mine. There are no standard Fender basses with active electronics. Standard means Not active. There are Mexican made Delux Jazz basses I know because I have one. Look at this link to see what i mean. http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-FEN-136700-332.html

18. Jazzin'

standard doesnt mean passive. the deluxe is made in mexico and the american deluxe is made in the US, there is no such thing as an american standard. its just an american. which means that its passive. standard does not mean passive.

19. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I thought passive U.S. jazz basses used to be called "American Standard" and now are "American Series". These are buyer reviews, but shows how other people thought the same:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/

And, here's an American Standard Precision bass:
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1998/9807/4-string/4fender.shtml

Anyway, it's confusing so clearly it wasn't a stupid question. But looking at the question, it seems clear to me that the person is asking about the difference between an American bass and non-American bass. The way they're called and sold today "Standard" without anything else means Mexican. Deluxe means active and possibly additional pickups (see, Precision Deluxe) and can be Mexican- or American-made.

Marshall

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Dude,
    All standard Fender's basses MIA or MIM or MIJ are passive basses period! MIA standard basses have been discontinued and are now called American series basses. The difference's between the two are "rolled fingerboard edges" "highly detailed fretwork". MIM standard basses still exsist and are the entry level Fender jazz basses. The DLX's (all MIA's and MIM's) are active basses, they have active electonics and sport MIA pup and pre-amp. I also have both MIA and MIM dlx jazz basses and there is no comparison between the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.