Fender American Deluxe 5 bridge setup questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jjbb123, Feb 10, 2022.

1. jjbb123

jjbb123

Nov 7, 2004
    Midwest
    I’m sure this has been discussed plenty. I know the string close to the fingerboard edge is an issue on the newer Ultras.

Wondering if I have any options for getting the G string a little further away from the edge of the neck? It’s a known issue on some of the 5 string jazz basses. I have no notches left to move it of course. And it wouldn’t be a big deal but I use light strings and it’ll fall off the edge in the middle of the neck when fretting sometimes. Around 9th ish frets.
    It’s not as extreme as some Ultras I’ve seen, but since I use light strings there’s just that much more slack for it to fall off the edge. 9CCADC32-441D-4849-808C-0773DED57EC2.jpeg
    Also, a few of my saddles are as low as they can go. And I’d ideally like to have even a bit more room to drop a bit. Maybe I just need a different bridge all together? Love the bass so I’d like to make it just a bit better! 7CEADCD2-DD41-4A1A-9657-A0520B523C58.jpeg

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    You can reset the neck. Loosen the neck bolts about 1/4 turn and pull the headstock toward the B string side. Retighten the bolts.

While you are at it, you should set the witness points on your strings. It will intonate and stay in tune better.

And you pickup looks exceedingly high.

MonetBass, Lownote38 and jjbb123 like this.
  3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    ^^^^ This! Agreed on all points. I would also go ahead and shim that neck as the saddles look pretty bottomed on the E and B strings.

4. jjbb123

jjbb123

Nov 7, 2004
    Midwest
    I was thinking it would have to be shimmed. Action is low of course, and is fine, but I always like having at least a bit of leverage to move things around on the saddles.

Lownote38 likes this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Me, too. Room in both directions is a must on my instruments.

jjbb123 likes this.
  6. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    If you set the witness points at the bridge, you will probably find that you need to raise the saddles a bit.

Geri O and jjbb123 like this.
  7. jjbb123

jjbb123

Nov 7, 2004
    Midwest
    Good point! I’m far from a beginner…but somehow the technical stuff has managed to slip by me over the years. Lol.

8. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    It's better to be a musician than a techie. Apparently you spent your time in the place that counts.

Geri O and jjbb123 like this.
  9. jjbb123

jjbb123

Nov 7, 2004
    Midwest
    Well, your tips alone made it better already! Resetting the neck doesn’t move much at all…but it just needed that tiny little bit. If I didn’t use such light strings I’d have more tension and the string wouldn’t move quite as much. But it helped!

and…I did have to bring the saddle up a tiny bit after setting the witness point! Huge thanks to you guys for the quick tips. You’d think after playing pro half my life I’d think of the little things! lol. Never an issue until it’s an issue I guess!