Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe 5 or Roscoe Beck 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassartist, May 3, 2005.

1. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Ok, I've read many of the threads on both the Am. Dlx 5 as well as the RB5. Being two totally different animals,(Am Dlx is active and the RB is passive) which will serve me better as I play mostly contemporary gospel and jazz. I know that the active basses are great for the "modern" tone that I need. But I really like the B string on the RB5, although it is not as hi-fi as I would like for it to be. I have a Ken Smith BSRJ5 and a Fender Am. Dlx 4. Just bought the RB5 but might trade it for the Am. Dlx 5.

2. Stick with the RB5 - it's the better bass overall IMO. I have two and love them both. If you want a more active sound, get an outboard preamp like a Sadowsky or U-Retro and run the RB5 through it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think I personally prefer the RBV. I'm a passive lover, and much prefer the asymmetrical neck.

4. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    I've used a SansAmp bass driver before, is the Sadowsky comparable or more hi-fi?

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have an RB5 and a FMT V, While the RB5 is a nice bass my preference is the FMT V. I have the new version with the scn pups and 18 volt pre in it. They are very different basses with different neck profiles, It's ironic they both have pups designed by Bill Lawrence. The RB5 has got to be the most versitile (sp) passive bass around!

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I just pick up a Dlx 5...Ash body and maple neck/ board..slapper dream here...ala "Marcus" slap tone. If you preferred the passive tone, RB5 is for you. I just want a slap machine for some smooth jazz stuff.

When I saw LEE RITENOUR last year, Melvin Lee Davis was the bass player. He had all the many strings Smith basses with him. But when it came down to some slap tone, he was using an active Fender bass. And I love Rhonda Smith slapping away with Prince too :eek:

7. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Why do you prefer the FMT V over the RB5? I think I prefer the sound of the FMT V too because it is more "modern" sounding. I play a lot of contemporary gospel and all the cats play very bright sounding instruments. I bought the RB5 only because there was not a FMT V around locally.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's a good question and I will try to answer. My RB5 was my first 5 string and it took some time for me to get used to the neck, my second 5 was 55-01(great bass) which I adapted to right away. Now a passive jazz is my first love and the RB5 anihilates the 60's passive jazz sound. It has soo many wonderful tones in it to be a passive bass. Now to the newer FMT v, this bass is a 5 string Fender jazz players dream! The Samarium pups make all the difference in the world. An active bass that sounds vintage or "roided" at the turn of some knobs. Playability is phenomenal and B string is very focused (I would say better than my RB5). The FMT is easier to play and more forgiving than the RB5, I think the thing that makes the RB5 is the Bill Lawrence pups. Well the "new" FMT has the "new" Bill Lawrence Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pups in it makes the FMT what it is. :)