Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender american deluxe good price or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 21, 2002.

1. I recently cam across a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V that is like brand new strill even has the sticker on the pickguard for setup from the factory for $799. I really like this bass does this seem like a good deal to you?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Compared to new, that's a decent price.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You say 'like brand new'... Does that mean that it is used?? I'd have to play the bass to see if I'd spend the bread on it, but that seems like an excellent price for a new one. It'd certainly have to be somewhat messed up for me to shy away from it. Would you be willing to settle for used? I'm thinking you could find a used one in good condition for less... Of course, I could be all wet!!! :D

-robert

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You can find them for less but $799 for a clean, barely used one isn't bad. If I wanted (another) one, I'd consider it. Then again, knowing me, I'd wait 'til one popped up really cheap;)

5. Yes it is used it was bought by a guy who plays mostly all country in his 40s when 5's got big and he thought he needed a 5. So then he bought it and realised that he didnt need it. He paid 1200 for it had it for about a year and pretty much didnt take it out of the case. There is absolutely no thing wrong with it not even any minor scratches anywhere. This was told to me by the owner of the store that it is on consignment at wich i trust him. I have known him for a while and also know him through friends.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If that's the asking price... offer them $700.

7. Well the problem i see with that is that it is on consignment so i would have to deal with the guy i dont know to negotiate. He is already hesitant to sell for this but he is.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    "Consignment" just means the store will have to contact the owner with the "offer" as opposed to making the decision themself. Happens all the time.

9. Well I need to scrounge up some more cash first but I wil deffinately try that. LikeI said I totally fell in love with this bass. Thanks for your advice.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Good luck

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  12. They average at $649 on eBay.

13. Doh! I wasn't paying attention.

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    and whereas you could probably find a better deal online somewhere, you've actually played this one, and you know you really like it. That says alot.
    The old 'buy before you try' online routine can get you in trouble with some of the recent Fenders... well, with any brand for that matter.
    Something to be said for a bass you know you like. Might even be worth paying a few extra bucks for!