Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz 4 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bool, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Hey all:

Im new here, and would just like some opinions on the bass listed above. I have a taco version of the jazz bass, and the pickups suck so bad, because they hum like a mofo. Also the action is really crazy, its almost hard to play. The sound isnt that great either. However, when I picked up the ADJB 4 string at a store today, I was blown on my a$$.

I played a warwick 4 string, but im looking more for a jazzy/funk bass sound. Something I can play a nice full of tone rythm too, or I can slap the hell out of and get some pretty decent funk going.

What are your opinions on this bass? Do you recommend anything else? I like the rickenbacker 4003, but that metal pickup cover is so poorly placed, its like impossible to slap almost.

Im on AIM , so if one of you would let me know here, or message me, I would be in great debt to you.

Thanks

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ok? you're complaining about the American Deluxe Jazz Bass?well since u don't like it just feel free to ship it to good ol' FJC then we can work out a deal [just kiddin]. The humming is common-single coils do that. The problems you say are what some people look for. I guess its just not right for you thats all.

3. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    I dont think you understood. I said I have a problem with the Mexican version I own.

Im asking if the American Deluxe Jazz is a good one to buy instead of the one I have...

Thanks for the reply none the less

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    ooooh ok,my badd-taco=MIM, thought u were talkin bout a sunburst or something-its almost 11 & i'm sleepy ;) :). I'd say BUY IT. if i had the money i'd have one in natural right next to my MIM in black. Thats all

5. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    I got an american deluxe strat in natural, and I love it

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  7. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Sorry,

taco= mexican fender instrument
    mofo= well, you should know that :D

8. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Anyone else? :(

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    How about taking your MIM Jazz and replacing the pickups? I agree that the pickups on the MIM's are exceedingly cheesy, but that's easy to fix with a few bucks... My MIM is currently under the knife getting some cosmetic, (as well as other), changes. When it's back into playing trim it will be fitted with the Fender Vintage Jazz pickups. I have an MIA P-Bass, and the stock pickup is probably the best passive P-Bass pickup that I've ever heard...

If you're sticking with single-coil, passive pickups, you're going to get hum unless both pickups are blended equally... That's one of the prices of their distinctive sound. I'm shielding with conductive paint in the pickup routs as well as the control cavity. I'm willing to live with a little hum, (anything will be better than the stock MIM pickups... mine's a '92... they may have gotten better since then).

-robert

10. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Hey I thought of that, but I played the noiseless MIA deluxe pickups today. As far as I know, they are active, i dont know much about that, but there is no hum whatsoever, and the tone rules...

11. I have an American deluxe jazz bass and I love it. I'll take it any day over a warwick or a stingray. It's a very versatile bass.
    Let's lay off the "strat" stuff here, though. :D
    This is talkbass after all.
    As far as deluxes go you can find one really cheap used. I don't know why they depreciate so much...they are great basses. Some of the older models have a taller post on the tuners... stay away from those models as it's hard to get the string wrap on the bottom of the post and get good downpressure.

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey Bool,

Yeah, the deluxe is active, which means little or no hum. Just that nagging feeling that if the sound isn't quite right, my battery might be going dead... Not my cup o' tea, but hey... to each his own, right??

My reason for sticking with my MIM and just upgrading is because I scored one of those axes that just seems to sing to me. That's a little esoteric and all, but I just like the way the thing plays... Same with passive. I know what it's going to sound like from one day to the next...

I have one of those DeArmond Ashbory basses that you see in MusiciansFriend, which has an active pickup. I've used this in several jams and have played it at church, and it just sounds AWESOME... Last night was the first time I pulled it out at a gig, and for some reason, it just didn't quite cut it... I'm left wondering, "Is it the battery??"

"What's the point?" you may ask, (Believe me, I often do when I'm reading my replies!!!), I just have an issue with active electronics... I like to control my tone with my fingers rather than worrying about a battery... my problem. Most folks seem to get by just fine with them, and I'm sure you will too! Just keep an extra battery in your gig bag. Or better yet, keep two. You just know that the guitarist is going to need to borrow one of 'em!!!

Enjoy, and welcome to the board!

-robert

13. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Thanks for the info:

You mean those pickups require batteries? I didnt know that. I thought the Noiseless J-Bass Pickups didnt need them. If they do , thanks for steering me away, cause that sounds like a pain in the ass

14. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
  15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Bool...

Don't get me wrong... I wasn't trying to steer you away, just explaining my own personal preference... what sounds good to me, (Flatwounds on a P-Bass... Roundwounds on a J with the bridge pickup soloed), may sound like crap to you.

This may be THE bass for you. CROZ certainly digs his, as do many other people. FYI, sometimes the pickups themselves require batteries, (EMG have a built in pre-amp for example), and sometimes it's the controls that require the battery. Anytime you see things like,

"Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ With Treble Boost/Cut 22db, Mid Boost/Cut 20db, Bass Boost/Cut 20db"

you're looking at a battery somewhere in the signal chain. Passive electronics can only cut frequencies. Anything that boosts is 'active', or battery powered. And yes, one advantage of active electronics is quieter operation. That's a pretty killer bass on the site you gave. Don't let me or anyone else tell you what sounds good. You're the only one that can decide that... It is your money after all!!!

Have fun,
    -robert

16. Bool

Bool

Mar 18, 2001
    Hey, so where would this battery go, and what kind of battery is it? Also is there some way you can like message me so we can talk about this in real time, you are so kind for helping me like this.

17. The battery goes in the back behind a plate that you unscrew. It's easy to replace. As long as you unplug your bass when you're not playing it the batteries will last a long time... I play for a couple hours at least every day and I only change batteries about every three months. It is a good idea to keep a spare, though. They don't give you very much warning before they cut out.

An active bass gives you a sound you can't get with a passive and vice versa.

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It takes a plain 9 volt(preferably alkaline or lithium) battery, some basses require 2 or 3, having an 18 volt or 27 volt circuit for increased headroom.

19. copper shielding should probably reduce the hum. i know that's what they often do in studio situations..

20. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    I own both a J + P USA Dlx and get zero hum from either bass.As far as batteries, I use Durcell 9 volt and last 6-9 months with a lot of playing.
    If you cant deal with changing a battery "must be a bitch when you change strings".
    I wouldn't sell either of these basses,there keepers.
    As far as the pu cover on the Ric which I also have it comes off with 2 screws,but maybe thats too much also.