Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Feb 4, 2001.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    As with many of you fellow bassists, I have been afflicted with GAS over this last year. My final symptom (famous last words) was my recent purchase of the above titled bass.

I really wasn't immediately looking for a bass as my Alembic and Steinberger were fitting the bill, but I stopped in to our local Guitar Center and tried it out. I was quite impressed. Bear in mind this isn't a super high end bass, but there is a lot of value for the money. Good tonal variety with the actives and 3 band EQ in addition to the distinct jazz bass sound and feel. The B string is even tight and punchy.

IMO, I give this bass a recommended purchase.

Bones

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Congratulations. Cool bass. An amigo of mine owns this bass and loves it interminably. For me a low b is a handy thumb rest, but he wants a six string version of this bass.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've had an Am.Dlx.Jazz-5 for about a year and I love it! It's my #1 bass for gigging, recording, everything.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have two. I like 'em. A lot.

5. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey guys, sorry for bringing up this old post, but I didn't want to start a new one, since there is already one here.

My question is in regards to the slapping and popping possibility on this particular bass? Has anybody tried this? Also, how would the sound differ if you have a maple fretboard or rosewood/pao ferro with alder body?

I'm looking into getting a real bass and this seems to be a good investment, what would be your ideas regarding 2002 Deluxe 5 (US) model?

I'll be playing a lot of fingerstyle jazz/fusion and continue my learning of slap/pop technique. Photos/sounds would be appreciated! Thanks!

6. This bass is great, but be warned the string spacing is really close.

It's okay for me I have small hands.

I can slap and pop with no prroblems.

I prefer the rosewood board myself, its got a bteer feel and not as bright sounding to my ears.

YMMV.

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    honestly ....... if i was looking for a 5, i would steer well clear of the fender. Nice B strings a few and far between on these models imo.

I havent played a delxue one though, but all the mia J5's ive played have felt like squires to me. They just didnt have 'that' fender feel and sound.

If your ears dig it though, and you've found a nice one that you love playing ....go for it!

8. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Thanks guys! Yeah the string spacing is what I'm worried about... I'll try to check some of them here in Oregon, haven't seen any American Deluxes so far. Later.

9. We are you in Oregon?

I'm in Springfield, (visiting) and I know a shop (where I have purchased 25 or more basses) in Eugene.

McKenzie River Music, the owners name is Bob November, he has sold me many vintage basses over the past 20 years.

Are you interested in talking with him?

Here's his website.
    http://www.mckenzierivermusic.com/

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey Trina!

Actually, the luthier at that shop, Charlie Longstreth, is the guy who does work on my bass, I think he's a great luthier although I haven't checked anybody else in this area. He's a very sweet guy.

Yeah, I like that store, but I live about 60 miles from Eugene so can't always go see what's up.

Thanks for the recommendation tough! They have a very nice collection of vintage stuff.

11. I know Charlie also, he does ALL my work.

Talk to Bob or Charlie, they can get the Fender 5 for you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Thanks! The link is great, that way I can see what they have and the prices, man, that's great! I might even be heading there this weekend. Take care.

13. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Sorry to chime back in....

But dude ....try out the fender roscoe beck 5, aswell as the deluxe 5.

They're an awesome bass imo, and they've got their own unique voice which is pure gold.....The B string's are a tight as a *%Y&%^^& too!!

do it[​IMG] :D

14. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Thanks, I'll do it if I ever get my hands on either one of them! :rolleyes:

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The spacing on the MIA JD5 is adjustable. I like wide spacing and they work fine for me. If it were narrow I wouldn't play it. I've also gotten very good results soundwise, including the B string.

I currently have a JD5 and an FMT 5. Both very nice Jazz basses.