Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Mar 20, 2005.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am a big Music Man fan and am torn between picking up a second Stingray 5 or a Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5. I know the SR5 and love them but I played a used AD Jazz 5 and was pretty happy with it too. THe B string was not that great but much better than I remember the Fender B's sounding. I am sure that a good setup and string change will make it a smokin bass. Any of you Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 owners have any input or opiniopns for me?

2. Hey Scott, I had a 2004 US Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 last year and it was a fantastic bass. It had a huge bottom end on it and the B string was great, serious hi-fi Marcus tone. Overall it was one the best Fender's I have ever played. I traded it in on a Musicman Stingray 5. I really should have kept the Fender though as it was much more versatile. Anyways here is a tune I did with the 2004 US Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 just before I traded it away and yes I miss that bass immensly. The bass was recorded direct into Logic Audio Platinum via a SB Audigy 2, no DI or outboard eq was used.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=1639368&q=Hi

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/bassjonesmusic.htm

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man that is killer. We are almost the exact same age and have the same influences. Thanks for the link to you stuff. I reall am digging it. I had a 98 Am Deluxe Jazz 4 and really dug it but a few months ago I went to a shop near DC and played an Am Deluxe Jazz 5 and was blown away. We have one in the shop where I work and I am really leaning towards it because I already have a Stingray 5 and would like the versatillity of the Jazz 5. Thanks for the info man.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Stingrays are killer...
    still, I'd go with the Fender. I am a big fan of the Am Dlx Jazzes. they are awesome.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a 2004 MIA Deluxe V. Awesome bass. Much better than the 2002 I owned briefly. Great tone, great feel, great playability, decent B (much better than the 2002 I owned). Overall...great bass.

6. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Have any of you tried the 2005 models with the 4 /1 config headstock - I was wondering if it helped the low B

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Just sold my '92 MIA 5, only because I really needed to thin out the bass herd and I only play the 6's ... that MIA 5 hadn't been touched in well over a year.

But, it's a GREAT 5er, much nicer (IMHO) than the SR, way more comfortable and more flexible in terms of tone variety.

(I wish Fender made a 6 :scowl: )

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have the latest model, 4+1 with SCN pickups and 18-volt pre. If I'm not mistaken Fender introduced this new and improved model in 2004.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

9. I don't have a USA Dlx 5 Jazz, but i do have a regular USA Dlx Jazz, and i LOVE it. I like the mid control it comes with, especially since most jazzes dont have a control knob for mids. It has so much tonal variation, and the slap sound you can get out of it is superb. I was considering a Ray 5 at the time as well, but ended up with the Fender because i loved its tone and its "feel". I'd say since you already have a Ray, maybe you should pick up a Fender.