Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass V - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Mar 22, 2004.

1. What do you guys and gals think about this bass?

Musiciansfriend has them for $999.99 with a case, 3 tone sunburst/pau ferro board. That's a pretty good deal, and a color combo I like. http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0195962

So, any comments good or bad about this bass?

How's the B string?
    Do the pickups sound vintage?

Any info appreciated.

2. NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    I order one for 1189 from American Music supply and it was a nightmarethe bass sounded great but had a bad now in the neck. The truss rod could not be adjusted so it had to go back. I now have one on order form Guitar Center. The bass itself is CRAZY though.
  3. Thanks, NINO3000.

Now check this out, everyone: the bass was for sale yesterday morning, gone by the afternoon, now it's back again at the MF site. :confused:

They have done weirder things than that.

4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I owned an American Jazz Deluxe 5 string for a while and it was a bittersweet relationship. The look was great and it played very well but the B string was anemic. I tried everything from pickup adjustment, to string changes to dropping a J- Retro, with no luck. I ended up selling the bass. It's very possible that my case was isolated but I think it says quality likely varies from bass to bass. Recently, I picked up a Skyline Joe Osburn 5 string and am much happier. A real vintage tone that compliments my Alembic nicely.

Best Wishes,
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Lately, I seem to be the minority opinion with this bass. I love it... with the right strings it kicks! I'm using a .145 for the B and it is both tight and way ballsy... Maybe I got lucky?!?!

Mine's a '96 bought off ebay and it appeared to have been hanging in the pawn shop for quite some time... Severly bowed neck out of the case, massive woodsmoke smell and barbecue sauce under the pickguard, (seriously!!). After a thorough cleaning, some patient truss-rod tweaking and a few different sets of strings it now plays like a dream.

After a month, I am finally hitting my stride on the five, and I feel that the Fender Jazz V gets a bit less than a fair shake in 5 string comparisons... Strictly my opinion of course...

6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I, too, heard they have terrible B strings. The bass player of a, well, let's call it "experimental funk" band we played a gig with a while back played one and he said he was pretty happy with it, except for the B string, which he thought was abysmal. Looks like you really got lucky, rllefebv.

Oops, crap, disregard this post. For some reason I thought you were talking about the MIM version.
  7. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I owned one a while back. Fit and finish were good. Fret job was good. Sound was pretty good (even better after I dropped an Aguilar OBP-1 pre amp in it).

The only negative was that I thought the B was kind of floppy and muddy sounding.

Overall a very nice bass. I think the attention to detail on the American Deluxe models is very good, and all the ones I've played have felt very nice.

That said, if you want one, buy a used one (you can get them for about $750 to $800 used). If you are going to drop $1000, and you don't mind a 35 inch scale bass, I'd recommend a Lakland Skyline Jo 5.
  8. Hey thanks for the responses, Bones, Robert, phxlbrmpf and Dabshire.

The thing is, I'm looking for a nice fretted 5 string, but I'm not in any hurry. Then, I saw the American Dlx Jazz V for that price at MF, and I started thinking. Most of the reviews say the same thing: Great bass, but the B string could be a little better. http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/American-Deluxe-Jazz-Bass-5-String-01.html (As always, take Harmony-Central's reviews with a grain of salt)

As it stands now, I'm going to pass on this one.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Mike :cool:
  9. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    i have a 2003 model and i just strung it e-a-d-g-c and i this thing sounds AMAZIN!!! very versatile excellent for your funk MM players and also gives that nice warm vintage sound of the jaco feel