1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender AMERICAN DELUXE JAZZ BASS/ what amp should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JojoAxe, Sep 23, 2018.

1. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    B65E1B25-6438-4F6E-964A-4AF9FFDBBD6A. 4D0B0C17-E3DA-435E-911A-EEE0E850B016. E023FDD5-F8DC-4DED-AC6A-C71FA766BF57.
    Hello!

I’m new here and a novice bass player. Currently, I’m on the search to buy a 4 string bass. I’ve come across a Fender Deluxe J Bass made in the US selling for $650. Is the price fair and is the bass worth getting? A J Bass is what I’m after. I have tried J Basses at GC but not the 07’/08’ Deluxe J Bass. All advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

TK4261 likes this.
  2. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    That's a great price for an American Deluxe J bass.

3. Yup, Good price and if you ever have to resell it then you will be able to easily get what you paid for it.

4. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    That’s what I thought as well! Thank you both for your feedback.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is there something wrong with it?
    The price either indicates a problem or someone who really needs money.
    Other than that, doesn’t look like the Noiseless pickups that come with active Fender basses.

6. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    F501C176-F888-41DB-992F-3F2C33F45CCA.
    @jd56hawk it’s in good conditions. No issues with the bass. The person who’s selling it upgraded to a 5 string bass. That’s what I noticed as well... I looked up the serial # on Fender website and found this info.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    jd56hawk likes this.
  7. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    They have SCN pickups. Is that something odd? I did just realize the j bass I’ve seen at GC had N3 pickups

8. stumblebee

stumblebee

Jan 13, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    The SCN were the stock pickups for that year American deluxe jazz.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  9. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    @stumblebee awesome, thanks. I wonder if there’s much of a difference with the sound quality of the SCN vs. N3 pickups.

10. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Years ago I traded in my '78 jazz on a new bass and it came down to a toss up between a 3 band stingray, and a Deluxe jazz just like this one. I ended up going with the 'Ray ( which I still have) but as I recall, the Deluxe was very comfortable and sounded very good...better than the '78...but not quite as good as the 'Ray.

11. Many players claim that the pickups & electronics of an active jazz bass would prevent you from getting the exact vintage tone of a passive jazz bass; even if you switch it into the passive mode.

This doesn't even remotely mean that Fender Deluxe J-Basses are trash; of course, they are obviously high quality instruments. But I would suggest to play it side-to-side with a passive Jazz Bass to ensure that you are getting the tone you want.

In my humble experience; the deluxe jazz can be preferred if getting a modern tone is a priority, while a passive jazz can be preferred if getting a vintage tone is a priority. Assuming that all components are stock, of course.

If you decide on an active bass, USA Deluxe Jazz Bass is a great choice; and 650$ is practically a steal - even suspicious ;)

12. JojoAxe

JojoAxe

Sep 23, 2018
    @PJ Muzikmansky Ah yes! I haven’t meddled with a stingray much but I’ve heard they’re quite the beaut to admire.

@Kerem Koseoglu Thanks for sharing! Perhaps down the line I will play with a passive J bass. The music I currently play is more of indie rock/alternative. The seller did originally ask for $900 but I got lucky with the price drop.

13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    :woot:Sweet.:woot:

14. Grab it.

Any work (set-up-wise) it might need will be worth it!

Ghastly likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Snatch That Puppy Up! NOW

EatS1stBassist and Ghastly like this.
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Go for it. Try some flatwound strings. I put them on my Squier VM Jazz and it’s now twice the bass it was.

17. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I personally like the SCN pickups over the N3, but for that price who cares?

If it were me it would have a set of EMG JA’s with the passive tone control. I’m weird like that though.

18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Buy now or cry later

EatS1stBassist, ajkula66 and Ghastly like this.
  19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so, didja get it???

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I have a newer one and I dont have this issue. Granted, I dont pick those nits so it sounds classic enough to me....However, the OPs is an older model (00s?) so that may be relevant