Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz or Fender American Deluxe Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Hi everyone,I really need your opinions here Which of these two basses would you say have the more wider range of tone options? Thanks Joe

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think the Jazz would have more tonal options. But if I had to choose, I would pick the Precision.

Graeme

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    First of all I would like to say great choice of basses!! Fenders line of MIA deluxe basses are awesome I myself have the Fender J Deluxe MIA. I would definately go for the Jazz there just all around great basses and they are extremely versatile and its also great is you like to slap n' pop.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They are both excellent basses, however the Jazz has the wider tone pallette. Play both and decide which one speaks better to you. :bassist:

5. Thanks you guys,your opinions mean a lot.Joe

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm a jazz bass guy (I've got 5 of em) but I think the Pbass deluxe offers a lot of options. Probably more options sonically than available with the traditional jazz pickup set

7. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They are both great. I have the Deluxe Jazz V and I love it.

8. It's hard to answer that question... the P bass gets an approximate P sound, approximate MM sound, and combo sound (neither is 100% exact since they are wired in parallel, I believe) which are very interesting choices to have. The Jazz is just like any other Jazz bass, with the blend knob working like a passive jazz's 2 volume knobs to get front/back/both pickup(s) working.

I guess the P gives a "wider range" considering you can go from P-ish to MM-ish. However I think the Jazz is more than good enough. When it comes down to it, it sounds almost exactly like a passive jazz, plus a plethora of tonal options from the preamp and a great neck. I've got one, and it's definitely one of the best basses I've played.

9. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have both basses. Jenderfazz's tonal descriptions are right on the money. The jazz has a whole bunch of tones- enough to satisfy almost anyone who likes a very versatile bass. Having said that, my vote would be that the P that actually has the widest range of tones available. Either way you'll probably be happy! :)

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I dunno about 'wider' range... as it seems different players can do different things.

But ever since the American Precisions added the S1 switch, they have sounded mighty tasty to me.

11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The original poster was referring to an American Deluxe Precision- totally different from an American.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just played my 1st gig with my Am Dlx Jazz V last night. Man...buttery smoothness/fender tone that is smooth yet cuts throught the mix as well. Probably helps that I'm playing through a 2X15" (my preference). These are just damn good sounding basses.
    -Bazz-

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Oops... my bad.

14. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Jazz looks cooler ;) :p

15. I have the Deluxe MIA Jazz, and i love it. You can get a lot of nice sounds with it, and I love setting the the bridge pup to 75% (about 3:00) to get a nice slap tone. Plus, the deluxe version has the added mid tone control, which most Fender jazzes don't have (not sure if they have one on the Precison version or not). I haven't tried the Deluxe MIA Precision, although it looks awesome and i've heard great things about it from other on this board. Jazzes in general have a lot more tonal options than Precisions, but then again, the Dlx MIA Precision has two pickups, the added "double jazz" pickup or whatever you want to call it. If I were you, I'd go down and try both out to see which one you like more. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a MIA Dlx Fender. Happy hunting and tell us which one you end up getting.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would go with a deluxe jazz.

17. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    it's like saying what's better
    Apples or Oranges

I like Jazz basses.. I own a MIA Jazz.. I dig it.
    end of story
    you need to get to GC and rock them for a bit.. maybe see if you can borrow one

18. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    The Deluxe Precision has a humbucker near the bridge. I find this has a somewhat nasal, mid-heavy sound through some amps. A touch of mid cut and bass boost is all it takes for it to sound good (those controls are not subtle). I am told that the bridge pickup cuts through the mix well, but I haven't had a chance to gig with it yet. So you have a P-bass sound with active control, and a sort of souped-up jazz bridge sound again with active control, and no hum. Both very useable.
    What doesn't sound good, in my opinion, is both pickups together, and this of course this does work on the Jazz. I would rate the P-Deluxe excellent for rock/blues, and the Jazz excellent for, well, Jazz (& funk?) and blues, again. But really these are classic basses and can be used for most things. A lot of your decision could be down to which neck you prefer - I've got used to both.
    Although I have been switching to G&L basses, I still rate the Fender American Deluxe models very highly and have used the Deluxe Jazz for swing band gigs with great success.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're both great basses. I own a couple of the Am Jazz Deluxes, and I've played a couple of the Am P Deluxes. The P Deluxe is the only P-bass I'd own. Great range of tones, lots of powerful bottom. I still prefer the Jazz, though.

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Exactly the same here, I agree 100%