Fender American Deluxe Jazz questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Feb 13, 2003.

1. [​IMG]

It looks like I may be getting the above bass tonight, but I do have a few questions. Somebody informed me that because of the extra frets on the neck it would be difficult to find a replacement neck if ever needed. Does anybody know where a replacement neck for this bass could be found? I'm also thinking about switching the pickguard to Tortoiseshell from pickguards.com. I'll have to give them a tracing since they don't have a template for this particular pickguard. Does anybody know how much extra it might cost for this "custom" shape?

Thanks, everybody!:)
  2. FYI, Warmoth does not make a replacement neck for the 22 fret Fenders. What is USA Custom's website? Does Fender offer replacement necks at all?
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Slight correction--Warmoth doesn't offer replacements for the 22-fret Fender Deluxe 4-strings. However, they do make replacement necks for the 22-fret Deluxe 5-strings.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, if you would ever need a neck, you could try to contact Fender.

Since it's a Fneder bass, you could contact a Fender Dealer. I think they make a Tortise p/g that's available for sale.
  5. Thanks for the clarification, mike.

Just out of curiosity, I was looking for contact info on their website, but I couldn't find anything. Oh well, I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Does anybody know USA Custom's web address?
  6. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    congrats on your new beauty!!! i have the same thing except: maple fretboard, 3 tone color suburst, and tortose shell pickguard.

7. Thanks! Actually, I was surprised to find out that this bass has a White Pearloid pickguard, not just a plain white one.:cool: One thing, however, my G string barely lines up over the pole pieces on the pickups (especially the bridge one). Will that make a difference in volume on the G string?
  8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

Warmoth seems to have a customer service phone number and email right there on their -- (253) 845-0403, sales@warmoth.com.

The USA Custom web site is at http://www.usacustomguitars.com

9. Sorry, I was talking about Fender. I already know Warmoth doesn't have replacement necks, pickguards, etc. for this bass.

Thanks for the link!:)
  10. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Oops, sorry! I wasn't thinking about Fender at all. They might not be much help if you contact them directly, anyway--you might be better off going through one of their dealers.

11. You're probably right. Man, I hope I don't have to get a replacement neck anytime soon.:eek: Hopefully somebody will start making replacement necks for these soon.

Can anybody answer my question about the pole pieces lining up with my strings?
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Or you could probably deal with one of their auntorized service centers like Tenorio Werx. I'm pretty sure service center would be able to get parts.
  13. Thanks for the suggestion.:)
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Is something currently wrong withthe neck? Necks don't just go & bet twisted just like that. :)
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    IMO it doesn't look misaligned enough to make a difference (although it is pushing it on the bridge pickup!). The best test is to play it though. Do you hear a difference? Play it soloed on neck and then soloed on bridge.

brad cook
  16. Congrats on a great bass.
    The neck has 2 graphite reinforcing rods to keep it straight. It would take a lot of abuse to mess up the neck.
    Do not worry about the poles lining up. it does not make a difference. I did some testing and found nothing to worry about. I did move the G string one notch on the bridge since it was too close to the edge of the neck, and I had problems with it, but that was just because of the way I play.
    I would keep the white pearloid guard as it is beautiful against the black body!
  17. You should be able to get a tortoiseshell plate from fender , I got one for my sunburst jazz 5 in the UK for £45 , so you will be about the same in $ over in the US , nice bass , hope you enjoy it :)
  18. Nothing is wrong with the current neck. The ease of finding replacement parts was just an added bonus of getting a Fender...or so I thought.
  19. When I restrung the bass, I realigned the strings a bit so the G string would be over the pole pieces. The volume isn't the issue it was before, but now the string spacing between the A and D strings is closer to 13/16" than 3/4". Not a big deal, though.

I think the big issue now is finding the right strings for it. The G string on the current set is too tight for popping, etc., so I may give D'Addario XLs a try if I can get a good deal.
  20. Thanks. I'm not having problems with the neck currently (see above), and the volume isn't really an issue anymore.

I am going to keep the White Pearloid over the black. It looks great! I had originally thought the pickguard was plain white due to the pics.