Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz V FMT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I stopped by my local GC tonight, they're having an inventory clearance sale. Heard this killer 5 string
    jazz bass being played by a salesperson. Amber Deluxe FMT (they didn't tell me it was an FMT)

How nice was it? I bought it... and I definitely wasn't in the market for another bass.

It had the lowest action I've seen on a Jazz type bass. Also the best fret job I've seen on a Fender bass, which allowed the action to be as low as it was. Played like butter... I can see where anti-wank shots may be necessary.

How nice is it? It sounds great with the Fender strings.

Fit and finish is on par with pretty much anything I've seen, in other words, it appears flawless cosmetically. Amber finish on figured Maple, bound Maple neck, Pau Ferro board with block inlays. 5 bolt joint (that's 2 more than 3 bolt), 18v version of their 3 band preamp.

The only negative I can see at this point is the control cavity. It would have been nice to see copper shielding in lieu of shielding paint... and it could be a lot neater.

One less reason (but a big one) to keep some of my basses

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Hey, Brad. I've considering that bass heavily but haven't been able to play one. Please describe the tone. I know it's difficult but please try.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Alright! Hows about a picture.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sounds like a high end, modern Jazz. Has a full sound for fingerstyle and has that signature Fender Jazz kind of snap to it when slapping. It's very articulate and alive sounding. Combined with the excellent fretwork and neck in general, this thing is a player. The obvious comparison would be to that "ultimate" Jazz bass. IMO it's the nicest Jazz style bass I've played.

It would be nice to have a sweepable mid control but the bass sounds excellent as is.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    These are actually the first Fender basses that have caught my interest. I have yet to play one, but from the pics I have seen, if they play like they look, they gotta be great basses.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I can't speak for anything other than mine but the playability is what really got me.

Here's the list:

Figured Maple Top,
    5-Bolt Neck Plate,
    Contoured Heel for Easier Access to Upper Frets,
    Graphite Reinforced Maple Neck,
    Abalone Dot Position Inlays,
    Rolled Fingerboard Edges,
    Highly Detailed Nut and Fret Work

The Highly detailed nut and fret work is no joke. It's rare to find action this low that can still be played like a Fender. You can dig in and it's pretty sweet. If they can consistently produce these like this...

This is basically a bargain priced boutique Jazz, that really nails the Jazz sound.

Here's the website, I have an Amber 5.
    http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?node_id=2526

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    How's the neck feel compared to a Roscoe Beck? Is the B string good?

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It feels similar to my 97 MIA JD5. I tried to set the JD5's action as low as the FMT and I couldn't get it that low without some buzzing (maybe I should get the frets leveled;)). It really requires very little effort to play.

The B string sounds very good. The B and the E are tapered Fender strings and on this bass the Fender strings sound great.

The FMT reminds me of my MIA JD5 with the J-Retro... great sound but the playabilty is much better (and I like the playability on my 97).

There was a 4 string FMT in the store with the action set higher and it drastically changed the feel, for me.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it looks great! i have never seen one in person (as obvious i live in italy and nothing of this kind is available here) but that would exactly be the 5 string bass i'd like to have. can you tell me how much is it this bass?
    thanks a lot

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Musician's Friend's price at 30% off is $1679.99. I'll just say the price I got was better than that;)

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am sure that you got a good deal. Can you say that the Marcus Miller sound resides on this piece? I'm getting into that kind of sound with a new snapping technique. This may need to be added to my wish list.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Absolutely. It has that kind of bite to it and thumping on it is pretty amazing... it requires so little to get it going. I find myself able to do some slap patterns that get lost on other basses.

Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Very nice. How do those knobs work.

14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From my experience, they usually spin. ;)

"I'll be here all week. Be sure and tip your waiter!" :rolleyes:

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Volume, Pan, stacked Bass/Treble and Mids

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The only thing that takes some getting used to IMO is the binding on the neck.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Fender definitely made some "style" statements with this one;). They put a lot of work into the neck/fretwork.

There's a lot of gold hardware on this, too. The polepieces are even gold.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a major difference between this and my Retro'd MIA JD5.

18. I was looking at those on the Fender website at school, and I was thinking of posting a topic asking about them, but first period ended.

Anywas, thats a sweet bass, Brad.

- Jamey

19. That is a beautiful bass Brad. I haven't kept up to date with the Fender basses lately and that one really takes me. Now I have to find one to try out.

Geoff

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks.