Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz V or Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Nov 26, 2003.

Which bass would you buy?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2003.
  1. Fender American Deluxe Jazz V 2002

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Stingray 5

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I keep going back and forth on this. I have the opprotunity to buy either of these guitars and was wondering what people here feel they would go with if given the choice.

2. My vote goes for the Fender American Deluxe Jazz V 2002.

I like the string spacing and I'm a huge Jazz bass freak.

I own two Fender 5's and given the chance to add another 5 to my arsenol, I would go with Sadowsky 5, over both basses listed above.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. I'd say Fender. My American Deluxe 4 is amazing, and I generally prefer the Fender sound over the Stingray sound.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you are going to find the Fender Jazz to be a lot more versatile than the stingray. Stingrays pretty much have one tone. Both bass play nicely however.

5. Stingray 5 all the way. Even though I don't really like the string spacing, the low B on the Fender 5s are trash compared to the SR5's tight B. The Stingray 5 really is a great instrument, and there's a reason why they are so popular with session players.

6. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Wait until January when the new Fender American Deluxe series come out....The are beautiful...[​IMG]
    Here are the specs:
    American Deluxe Jazz Bass QMT & FMT

* Available in both 4-String and 5-String models
    * Body: Premium Alder with Bent Figured Maple Top
    * Neck: Graphite Reinforced Maple, Modern "C" Shape with Satin Polyurethane Finish
    * Rosewood or Maple Fingerboard(9.5" Radius/241 mm)
    * 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    * Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    * Width @ Nut: 1.500" (38 mm)
    * Gold Plated Hardware
    * Deluxe Gold Plated Steel Bridge Plate, (Strings-Thru-Body or Top Load), with Gold Plated Brass Saddles
    * 2 Dual-Coil SCN (Samarium Cobalt Noiseless) Jazz Bass Pickups
    * Pickup Switching: Pan Pot
    * Controls: Master Volume, Pan Pot, 3-Band Active EQ with: Treble Boost/Cut: +/- 10 db @ 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave. Mid Boost/Cut: +10dB, -15dB @ 500Hz, and a wide band slope. Bass Boost/Cut: +/- 12 db @ 40 Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave.
    * Colors: Amber, Bing Cherry Transparent, Tobacco Sunburst
    * $2199.99 U.S. Suggested Retail

7. Listen to this guy.

In the 5 string dept., the SR5 clearly beats the Jazz V. If you're really after the Fender tone in a 5'er, though, check out the Roscoe Beck signature model.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Odd. The B on my SR5 isn't any tighter than the B on my RB5, Am Dlx Jazz V, and Am Jazz V FMT. You see, given the same scale length and same strings, the tension of the B strings on any two basses will be identical. Perhaps you weren't aware of this. I'd guess your comment isn't based on real experience. As far as session players go, I thinks it's safe to say that many times more of them use Fender basses over SR5s.

9. Actually, my comment is very much based on real world experience. If your statement regarding string tension is true, then how do you explain the difference in terms of feel? The RB5 is an exception - it is its own beast, different than the other Fender 5s. IMO, the SR5 is a better instrument for the $$ than the current Fender 5s (RB5 excluded).

By the way, your condescending tone isn't really necessary.

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The feel of the SR5 is due more to what I call its "club-like" neck than the tension in its strings. The neck is thick and uncomfortable to me.

My condescending tone is the result of you making statements that are not consistent with the laws of physics. I noticed that you do not and have not owned any of the basses in question. I own and play both the SR5 and three versions of the Jazz bass. Based on my experience on stage and in the studio with both basses, the jazz bass wins hands down for tone, playability, and versatility. Besides, it weighs a couple pounds less.

If you want a bass thats a notch up from either, look at the Lakland Joe Osborn, U.S. or Skyline.

11. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I like fender better overall. Stingrays don't sound as good as the Jazz basses. I think they both have O.K. B-strings.

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Right on, Right on!

13. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Ain't nothin like the real thing baby!!!! The Fender Jazz and Precision basses are the archetype by which others are judged. Also fwiw I just scored a MIA Jazz after owning a MIM Jazz and the difference is astounding, your choice in strings can also have a great impact on string tension (perceived?)I'll also add to the Lakland camp ,and add the Ken Smith design Jazz.:bassist:

14. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Id say sr5 by FAR. Its a matter of floppy B vs non floppy. I LOVE the sr5s tone too.

15. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    YES! Look at Lakland.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    "Stingrays pretty much have one tone."

Isn't there a law against this sort of statement?

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And another one who doesn't understand the physics of the matter.

18. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Hey Munjibunga: Are the FMTs worth the $s Pm me if you please. Don't want to hijack the thread. Peace Eric:bassist:

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes. PM sent. Pic below.

[​IMG]

20. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I had a Fender Amer Deluxe 5 for awhile. It was AWESOMe and I haven't said that about anything "Fender" in years. It's B was 2nd only to a Pedulla I owned for a short spell and that B was the best on the planet. The FAD 5 was great. Great tone, playability, light and versatile. I sold it only b/c I had to go back to 4's to alleviate hand problems. I've played SR 5's and currently play Sterlings. I love MM's but the FAD spanked any SR5's I've ever played. Great bass.