Fender American Deluxe Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neil, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

I find this bass plays and feels amazing. It's super comfortable and so easy to play.

Has anyone experimented with changing the pickups and/or the preamp? If so, what pickups and/or preamp have you tried and what difference has it made in the sound?

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Which year ? I had a pair of 2007 (one fiver and one four strings) and the one I still have now have passive electronics and single coil pickups. Much better in my opinion.

As far as preamp goes, one of them had a Audere for some times, and it was a big improvement over the stock preamp.

I never tried the new AM DLX though.

3. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

I have a 2011. Was thinking of experimenting with some different pups and preamps

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    IMHO... Sadowsky

I had a 2009 Fender Deluxe Jazz V with Sadowsky pickups and preamp and it was stellar.

5. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

Did the Sadowsky pickups fit the bass or did it need to be retro-fitted?

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Neil, for what it's worth I'll give you my take. I have had several (5) Fender AD V's and tried various pickups. The Fender AD V pickup size is unique and not everyone makes replacement pickups for them. I still have a pre 2010 bass, and the pre-amps are not as good as they new ones like you and I have in the 2010-2012 models. In my opinion the N3 pickups are the best Fender has put out that are noise cancelling and the new pre-amp just flat out works.

Nordstrand makes pickups that fit Fender, and the humcancelling Nordies sound great but are more scooped sounding. The Nordy single coils for Fender V just slay however the single coil noise is a factor.

Sadowsky pickups won't fit Fender, different size unless you put them in the larger Fender shells. It's been done before. I have some SD Basslines that are built that way. The N3's sound better IMHO.

I've been down this road before, and based on my limited experience with my 2011 Fender AD V, I'm leaving it well enough alone. The N3 pickups sound very balanced and actually cop a vintage vibe pretty dang well. I'm really really impressed with them and yes I am trying to talk you out of changing your bass. ha ha ha.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  7. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I have a 96 (50th annn) dlx jazz V...I have the original pickups and a J-Retro Preamp...sounds great...although it is time for a fret dressing...a little annoying buzz on the upper registers.

If i was to change out pups..I go with Norstrands big singles.

8. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I have a question, Doug. How do the N3's sound to you in passive mode? I tried out one of the new American Deluxe Jazz V strings a while back and I can't stop thinking about it! Played like a dream come true. But wouldn't you know it, when I was trying to zero in on it's sounds there was some kid about 15 feet away from me playing thru a very loud Marshall. (Oh well, he had every right too).

I really like the idea of having the option of passive/active as long as the passive mode is good from get go.

Thanks in advance.

9. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

Hey Doug thanks for replying to my questions about pickups and preamps for my 2011 ADV. I really appreciate your thoughts. In spite of that I am on a quest so you haven’t change my mind….LOL. REALLY good attempt though.

I’ve narrowed this down to either the Nordy NJ5F pickups or the SD SJ5 67-70. To my understanding they are the only two pickups that are direct replacements for the ADV. Does this mean the screws fit in the exact spot of the N3 screws…so no drilling or modifications of any kind need to be done?

Also to my understanding, the Fender N3 pickups are all one piece. In other words there is no separate pickup and cover. I thought I read that the Nordy’s come without the pickup cover. Maybe I just read it wrong and the covers are extra? Again Doug if you know the answer to that I’d appreciate it.

Randy I have to agree with you. From listening to the sound samples that J-Retro sounds pretty amazing. Are the Big Singles direct replacements as well? No mods of any kind?

Now I’m debating whether I should change the pups first or try that Retro pre first.

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Hi Mike, Passive mode is one of my favorite things about the new Fenders. In passive mode there is a little more upper midrange, in active there is a boost in some freqs that are higher up still. Active mode scoops the tone out slightly by adding bass and also some zing on top.

I can get a fairly convincing P Bass tone from the neck pickup in passive mode and active, but in passive mode I would be inclined to add some lower treble region (1-2khz)

For a brief time I installed some SCN pickups from my 2006 ADV, and in comparison, the N3's are much more balanced, with less mud and clutter in the low end. (I think the SCN's were over wound or something, they have a LOT of low end)

The N3's are great for what they DON'T have, and that is any particular frequency region that is over emphasized. It's a nice sweet clear punchy "jazz bass" sounding pickup that really mimics a single coil pretty darn well.

Like I said before, Cary Nordstrand does a really good version for the Fender ADV format, but to my ears his stacked HC pickup is (to my ears) more in the "modern" tone camp, and I found myself always trying to paddle back to neutral territory tone wise with that model.

I also have a Sadowsky Metro with HC pickups, and while that bass sounds fantastic, the Fender N3 system has that natural roundness and vintage shape to the tone that always brings a smile to my face instantly.

Of course I am biased because I was playing bass in the 60's and 70's and have that vintage Fender tone hard wired into my cerebral cortex audio database.

If Fender would like to compensate me for my comments please feel free to PM me for an address to send money or more product :)

Danpirvine likes this.
  11. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Neil, the following companies make pickups that are direct replacement for the Fender V', (approx. 3.90 neck, 4.10 bridge) Basslines, Bartolini, Nordstrand, Wilkenson, Delano. (I think Lindy Fralin but they might be 19m) I think Aguilar does, and EMG is currently developing a new model for the Fender. (I am waiting for a set from EMG for review as we speak)

Yes the screws should line up exactly. Every set of replacement pickups I have tried do so without variation.

The N3's have removable covers, but they are taped onto the pickup. If you remove the tape, Fender will likely not honor the warranty on the pickups. (I have already been down that road)

Randys reference to the "big singles" I suspect was possibly referring to Nordstrand "singles", the "big singles" have the Bartolini P2, EMG35 soap bar shape. Nordstrand single coils are just fantastic in my opinion, but more aggressive sounding for sure. Can't go wrong with those.

I have the Basslines single coils and they are wonderful, the low end is the winner with that model, bold and clear and the definition is really there, the cost though is that the tone center of that pickup is biased lower, which means, you can't get sparkling highs from that pickup, they are really edgy in the 2khz region and not much above that. Great for rock and blues IMHO. They will probably go back into one of my Warmoth basses specifically for that genre.

Hope that helps you somewhat. BTW I'd be happy to buy those N3's from you if you decide to go in a different direction.

12. futurist

futurist

Oct 11, 2011
    I recently received a 2011 Fender AD V--and while waiting for it to arrive I was pretty much assuming that I would be replacing the pups and pre, but, once I heard it, I was so highly impressed with the stock sound that I quickly realized it didn't need any changing... great job Fender!

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I'll throw in the Lakland/Hanson pickups. I put a set in my 2008 Am Std Jazz V and they are nothing short of amazing! I haven't compared them to many other Jazz V pickups, but they are definitely right in line with my Seymour Duncan Antiquity Jazz II pickups. Pretty close to a custom-wound set of Duncans I had in a previous JV years ago. They are very even sounding - not hyped in any one area - at least, to my years.

I've been pairing them with an ACG/East filter preamp lately (in a box - not wired in the bass) and the range of usable and practical tones is very broad. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to drop a J-Retro in that particular bass, if I could find one cheap enough. But even passive, the bass is everything GREAT about a jazz bass, and the pickups play a big part of that. The stock Fender singles sounded good, but were very scooped, with a lot of hype in the bass and treble. These have a very strong low-end, but they don't sound hyped.

14. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    + 1. The 2011 Fender sounds and feels so good I look forward to picking it up. I have not had that level of affinity for an instrument in years, and to me, that is the valuable intangible.

15. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Thanks, Doug. I'll tell ya, now I'm really thinking about giving the AD V a good test run. I find I'm prefering the passive sound lately. I recentley had my old '73 Jazz bass fixed up after not bein able to play it for years. Had a new Warmoth neck installed and had a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's installed. It's now what I call "my perfect 4 string." But the quest is on for my perfect 5 string.

Although I said that I prefer passive these days I like the idea of having a 5 string with a good passive sound with the option of going into active just in case. So offhand it sounded like the AD V that I tried could be a winner.

But the thing that really drew me to it is it's playability. The asymmetrical neck shape combined with the compound radius made playing a joy. This was the model with the maple fretboard that had the black block inlays. Compared it against two other models that had the rosewood fretboard and for some reason the neck's on the latter two felt bigger and chunkier. Thiey're suppose to be the same in every way but they sure didn't feel it for some reason. Which model do you have, out of curiousity?

So maybe this weekend I'll give it another shot.

16. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Hi Mike, mine is natural ash with maple neck. I'm leaving this one stock-thats pretty hard to say for a guy who has two other bridges, and 5 other sets of pickups that fit this bass, as well as several different pre-amps. Restraint is a beautiful thing.

17. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

Hey lowfreqgeek I have the Hansson/Lakland pickups in my 55-94 and like them a lot. Do you have a model number for the Lakland pickups for the Fender? AND is it an exact fit or does the bass have to be modified?

Thanks
    Neil

18. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Neil be aware that Lakland and Fender may be off from each other by 1 mm in the bridge spacing, which won't matter if they are blade vs pole piece design where it might.

19. Neil

Neil Supporting Member

Hey Doug...you say the Nordy singles are aggressive which I favor. If you had to compare the Nordy singles (NJ5F) with the SD Basslines singles (SJ5 67-70) would are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks Doug. Again I really appreciate your knowledge in this area. It have been very helpful.

Neil

20. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    If those Basslines are the same as what I have (I am not sure about that at all) then I would prefer the Nordies.

I have some Basslines, and Bartolini's I'm going to put up for sale shortly. If you are interested, ping me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021