Fender American Deluxe Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neil, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Hey Doug great point about the Lakland vs. Fender. I am looking for single coils so I guess that will be a problem.

Regarding your pickups that you'll be selling...I'm probably leaning more toward the Nordy's but thanks for the heads up .

Hey Doug one more thing I just thought of. I'm not that up to date on what Fender is doing but wouldn't I be able to go to Fender to get a stock Fender single coil set that would fit my AD V? It seems to me that should be a pretty easy thing to do. Do you have any experience in that area?

Thanks again.

2. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    The Lakland pickups fit in the '08 Fender single coil shells (see pics - these are Lakland pickups in Fender shells on the Jazz V). They are dead-on.

IMG_1857.jpg

And one more:

IMG_2386.jpg

The pickups can be found here: Welcome to Hanson Pickups!

Model DB J-5

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    sweet!

4. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    yes Neil I would think so. I actually snagged a pair from a guy here on TB, they came out of an American Standard V. There are single coils, and yes there are aggressive up top with a big booty. I love 'em and prolly never sell 'em either!

I say Go for it. Oh, and one more thing, I snagged some singles out of a MIM V, (Ceramic) and they sound different, but really really fat and VERY usable. They are sitting in one of my Warmoth V'ers and thats where they will stay. Nothing sounds like them. At first I poo poo'd them for being "cheap" "crap" but they are still among my favorites.

I guess you gotta ignore the hype and use your ears.

QUOTE=Neil;11604904]Hey Doug great point about the Lakland vs. Fender. I am looking for single coils so I guess that will be a problem.

Regarding your pickups that you'll be selling...I'm probably leaning more toward the Nordy's but thanks for the heads up .

Hey Doug one more thing I just thought of. I'm not that up to date on what Fender is doing but wouldn't I be able to go to Fender to get a stock Fender single coil set that would fit my AD V? It seems to me that should be a pretty easy thing to do. Do you have any experience in that area?

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

5. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    As awesome as this Fender is with the Lakland pickups, I'm really curious to try a 55-63 with the same pickups. Scale length is not an issue for me and I'd love the extra couple of frets and the *different* factor. Much as I love a Jazz bass, they're just so darn common!

6. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Had no idea that the Lakland had 18mm spacing, I thought it was 19mm. Am I tracking right on this?

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Lakland is 19mm, Fender is more like 18.26mm, or so. For whatever reason, Lakland's pickups are exactly the same dimensions as the Fender pickups. I don't have a Lakland with these pickups to compare with, though. As far as I know, all of the various replacement pickups for the Fender are sold as "19mm" but work perfectly fine on the Fender.

In reality, as long as the string does not travel outside of the magnetic field, there will be absolutely no audible or detectable affect by the poles not being perfectly centered around the string. Visually it may be bothersome if they are severely off.

8. Hey Doug...how do you think the American Standard single coil pickups would sound in my 2011 AD V?

And if you have any experience with them how do you think they compare to the Nordy's and Duncan's?

Thanks man.

9. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Nordies #1 American Standards #2 Basslines #3

My preference.

10. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Neil...sorry about getting back to you so late...I was in the same dilema..I went J-Retro first then pup swap later...but its not imperative at the moment ast the JR has opened the bass up so much !!!...its expensive...but well worth it!!!

11. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    I don't think anything will be an upgrade over the American Deluxe electronics. In any way, IMO.

MSIMSBASS likes this.
  12. This is probably a post for a different thread but I just wanted to share my experiences since I've been experimenting with my new bass.

I've had the stock Fender Strings on her (8250-5M's and 7250-5M's). I've tried the Dunlop Nickles. I just put on a set of DR Fat Beams. I like the DR strings the best. They sound beautifully rich and articulate and the B string just rings for days. I highly recommend.

A gig this weekend for the true test.

13. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    I was surprised that I liked the stock Fender strings as much as I did but I defaulted back to the SS Carvin brand (La Bella) for the rich midrange detail they give. Those darn La Bellas sound the same after months and months of playing.. amazingly consistent.

14. Hey Neil, Wassup :D

Not sure if you mentioned Aguilar PU's, but I went to an Adam Nitti clinic and we got to demo both the 60's and 70's wind single coils in two different Laklands, and the 60's in a JO5 flat out blew me away, and I know we have similar tone goals.... but they were for sure one of the best pickups I've heard in a long time, fat, articulate and grindy, just really amazing and affordable.

Aguilar Amplification: Bass Pedals, Bass Pickups, Bass Preamps, Bass Amplifiers, and Bass Speaker Cabinets

Namm 2011 Brian Siono - YouTube

MLP Modern J4 - Aguilar 60's pickups, OBP-1 preamp Part 1. - YouTube

15. I just wanted to update ya'll on what I've been doing with my 2011 ADV. I really did dig the sound of the stock N3 pickups and preamp. However I was hearing just a little bit of compression, especially on the top end, which I didn't like. So back in October I decided to swap out the pups and pre. I decided to go with Seymour Duncan Basslines 67/70 pickups and the John East J-Retro Deluxe preamp. In hindsight I should have replaced one piece at a time (for obvious reasons) but I didn't.

So after swapping out the pups and pre I was really impressed and initially liked the changes to the bass. It really seemed to open up the sound and completely eliminated all the compression I had been hearing. However after a few months and numerous gigs I thought the bass was sounding too modern for my tastes.

Fast forward to last week. I installed the original stock Fender preamp back in the bass but decided to leave the Basslines single coil pups in the bass. I haven't gigged with the bass yet but experimenting with it I've found that the modern sound I wasn't digging is gone, probably due to the fact that the original pre is back in the bass. I really dig the Fender pre a lot. In active mode the bass control is warm and phat but not boomy. The treble control gives a nice brightness to the bass but not at all sterile or brittle. And the mid control gives great articulation without sounding too middy or nasally. In passive mode the bass sounds even better...very natural and articulate. The bass still sounds open, airy and with no compression, probably due to the single coil pickups. One thing I did noice was that the bass is punchier than it's ever sounded...like a freight train! I absolute love it!

So I'll live with this for a few months, play various gigs and decide if this is it. At first blush I have to say I think this is the "real deal".

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Just got a 2014 American Deluxe Jazz Bass V blonde NS3 noiseless (bunk) / active. Looks great, buzzes like a bitch. You definitely can't record or play loud in active due to the buzz. In passive, I think it's normal buzz is a bit louder than my old j-bass.

Not too thrilled w/ the tone on this axe either. Fender says this is the sound people are asking for. I don't know who these people are but I like the old j-bass sound.
    The newer tone has reduced depth which allows the kick to come though better in the low range. They also changed the mids to allow for the guit. to cut through better. It's a bit pingy like a music man. It's hard to get that excellent out of phase pluck sound or the JPJ Zeppelin sound on this axe. This is the passive tone, reminiscent of a jazz bass but differernt. Maybe it's better suited for a younger player...

I don't know what they're after w/ active. How can you sell a product that buzzes like this?
    My online dealer's axes all have the buzz. Fender says I should bring to a Fender gold tech. I'm tempted to pull the guts and load my older passive j-bass p/u's from and older axe. That one now has Fralins which are interesting but a bit different.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  17. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    I was tempted to buy one of these not long back, but for the money I'd be spending I wasn't happy with the pickups and preamp (Ended up getting a stingray 4hh for less anyway). Now though, I'm GASing really bad for one with nordstrand big singles - don't know whether they fit exactly - and a aguilar OBP-3 preamp.

Here's a clip of an am. deluxe jazz with big singles -

Jeffrey Wash likes this.
  18. I have a 2011 Am Dlx Jazz V as well & would love to know of some pre-amp & p-up options for getting a more vintage sound out of it. My pre-amp tends to hiss (I think it's because it runs at 18v) and the sound is quite brittle at times.

19. On a related note...are there any pre-amp options out there that still offer the passive tone control, too?

20. inate_hex

inate_hex

Apr 4, 2010
    Manchester, England
    I occasionally wet the bed.
    I know the john east j retro has a passive switch.