1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Deluxe P-Bass neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My first AmDlx P-Bass was a 1993 model. It had a Jazz 1.5" nut on it. It was the original neck and even said "Precision Bass" on the headstock. When did Fender stop putting the Jazz necks on these babies?

2. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Thats odd, mines from 92 and has a normal P bass neck.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I've never seen another one like mine. I didn't see a custom shop logo anywhere. It was definitely 1.5", American, and a P-Bass. Can anyone shed any light on this?

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've heard of P basses with "A" necks on them (1.5" at the nut), but all the "A" necks I've heard of are from like the 70's and maybe the early 80's as far as I know. However, if it's original, then it sounds like it is an "A" neck, or maybe a result of a lack of warehouse stock, which would make it less typical and more valuable someday. I believe the standard for a P 4 is 1 7/8.

5. Bishbass

Bishbass

Jul 13, 2007
    Boston, MA
    My 1995 American P-Bass Deluxe is A 1 7/8" P nut.:bassist:

6. I've always understood that the original nut width on a P-bass neck was 1-3/4 inches (1.75"), which was subsequently changed to 1-5/8 inches (1.625").

My 1996 American Deluxe P-bass (4-string) has a 1-5/8 (1.625") nut. I've never seen a 1-7/8 inches (1.875") nut on a P-bass that wasn't a 5-string.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dangitt... you're right. I was recalling 5 string widths without thinking about it. Sorry. You're right about 4 string nut widths. Thanks.