Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender american deluxe p bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Oct 18, 2000.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Anyone own one? How does it sound? I just saw the Deftones for the second time last night and I dig Chi's live sound. I know he uses the four string american deluxes. I was mostly curious about the humbucker in the bridge. Does it sound much different in the middle position than a P bass with a single jazz pickup in the bridge on the middle position? Also, does the B string on the five string model sound good?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought after I bought my Roscoe Beck V that I had bought my last Fender. Right now, I'd consider an American Deluxe P-bass V. I played one at my favorite store (GC), and was mighty impressed. There may be one in my future if mom ever gets over the second Lakland.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh yeah. It sounds bitchen.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I usually don't put much stock in Bass Player reviews, but they were spot on in the Am Deluxe P 5 review.

Very good bass, authentic P tone, great flexibility with the bridge pickup.

And to my ears, the maple board version has a better B than the rosewood, just like BP review said.

If I was still looking for a 5, this one would be in the running, but I don't think it would have beat out the Rapture, unless it was about $350 less.