1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Deluxe Pbass extender key

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ariff, May 21, 2011.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    So I ordered a Hipshot lite weight extender key for my American Deluxe Pbass just like the one in the link.
    Fender Lite Weight > Store > Hipshot Products

I am pretty disappointed in the fit of the key.. Here is a pic.
    [​IMG]

The clover is much bigger and taller. It looks very off and out of place. Did I get the wrong part? I did not see any other type of extender for the lite weight versions. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on what I should do? Maybe I just have to get use to it.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You have newer style tuners on your bass. The key you got fits the older style clovers...

3. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah looks like it.. What would be the correct part for my bass? I am looking all over and can't find anything. The string post is about 1/4" shorter as well.

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    which one of these did you use? Bass Xtenders > Store > Hipshot Products

fwiw I just put ultralights on my TF replacing the stock Fender tuners (along with the d-tuner). I didn't get another d-tuner though as I don't dig them. The shaft to the clover is actually shorter than the stock ones (base of the clover almost hits the headstock). But dropping a half pound is worth it...

5. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Here is what I have posted in my original post. Fender Lite Weight > Store > Hipshot Products
    I have looked everywhere and I can not find anything that will match my other tuners. I am sure I am not the first person to have this issue out there.. I am assuming maybe Hipshot can sell me just the tuner piece and I can replace it. I have contacted them we'll find out..

6. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Anyone have any more ideas on this? I still can't find the proper part from Hipshot to fit my bass..
    Thanks!

7. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    The tuners on your bass are Fender/Schaller Lite tuners (pre '04). The tuner on the extender is a Fender/Schaller Lite tuner after 2004. It is just the clover that is different. Can't you switch the tuner to the one that was originally on your bass?

iceboxbass likes this.
  8. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Nope I tried switching the tuners the Hipshot one screws into the base of the body and the original in pressed in somehow. I could find no way to remove it. Plus if I was able to remove it I could not screw it in to the Hipshot body. Hope that makes sense..:meh:

9. Picture of your tuners?

10. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
  11. I was thinking more of the back of the headstock to compare yours to the new ones. Easier to see that way.

12. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I have since removed the extender key. I did not take pics of the back of the headstock.. But I did find an example here on TB (thanks to the OP for the pic I am re-using) of what my tuners look like from the back. Mine is a 4 string only.

AmericanDeluxeJazzBass4.

13. I called Hipshot a while back they stated they would have to modify the current tuner to made a correct matching extender.

14. Ok, going by that and the link posted to the one you bought, I think you need the bt4 or the bt8. I have put d tuners on all of my basses over the years on many different styles like spector, fender mia and mim, and my current music man basses. The one thing you notice is from the front view they look factory. I think those ultra lites might be if you replace all the tuners? Take a look at the 2 I mentioned and see if those match better.

15. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    So I just got off the phone with Hipshot and looks like they don't have anything that will fit. They offered to retrofit my tuner to the new extender at a cost of 75 bucks plus shipping. For that price I may as well just buy new tuners. I asked about the BT4s and BT8 and he said I would have the same problem.. That the clover portion would be much larger than my current ones. I really can't believe there is not a better solution for this problem. I guess I'll be returning my extender for a refund and tune down to D the old fashion way :spit:

16. That's a bummer. Not a bad price but you the original if you want to resell the bass. Oops, I just realized that means you don't get a credit for the one you bought! That sucks!

17. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah I'd be out the 60 bucks I gave for the extender plus the 75 bucks and shipping both ways to disassemble my original tuner and fit the key to the extender. Then If I ever wanted to re-sell the bass or go back to original I could not.. I think I'll cut my losses and just not worry about the extender. I only really have a few songs it would be used on. I have gotten spoiled having them on my other basses..

18. I know the feeling about be spoiled! Haaha! I feel lost without one.

19. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw with the old style tuners you have to knock out an insert that is pressed into the headstock. I used the new insert from the Hipshot tuner as a punch and whacked it with a plastic hammer. Not sure if that is how the ones you have mount though. If you're not comfortable smacking your bass around you should be able to find a tech who could do the swap. You might need different parts though. With my bass, the ream is 11/16" and the post from Hipshot is the 1/2" version (their insert fills in the extra 3/16").