Fender American Deluxe Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Has anyone evey played one of these???

I'm absolutely facinated at the precision/humbucker combo, and need to hear that mega-low-end thump that I know it produces.

So, thoughts on this bass.... Anyone!?!?!

Excited, and Waiting for Responses!

American Deluxe Precision Bass
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dude....I love mine.

Only thing I don't care for very much is the tuning machines and the bridge. They don't hold tunings/sustain as well as most aftermarket hardware.

Other than that...it's an excellent bass.
  3. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I have one, its awesome.

Im actually getting i repaired at the moment.

The tone is great. its very versatile, p bass, to jaco tone. Anything you want, can cut any gig. Its a great bass, go out and play one!

I wouldnt say it produces mega low end thump, but none the less it sounds great!
  4. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Monster attitude and growl... but able to be tamed as well. Kinda like a P-bass crossed with a Stingray. I played one with a shotty neck, so be careful.
  5. Okay, you say that you're getting yours repaired at the moment, is this a facorty defect or a use inflicted one?

Tining machines and bridge are replaceable, can you say Hipshot? :p

Does htis bass give of a distinctive noticable tone, not exemplified by another bass???

Is the humbicker a standard sized humbucker, it looks a little narrow in the picture from Fender's website, almost like a 'bitty 'bucker. I ask because I'd probably swap it out for a BassLines p/h combo, and coil tap the humbucker so i could get a nice p/j sound out of it as well.

6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got one in natural with maple and it sounds great. I've had not trouble with the tuners or bridge and it stays in tune for weeks. It is active, so you can lots of tonal flavors out of it but it is still a P-Bass at the end of the day, and that ain't bad!
  7. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Im pretty sure its inflicted. Im not sure what it is, something to do with the input/preamp. I reckon ive bumped one of the wires apart and it needs resoldering. Its in the shop atm, ill get back to as to what the problem was. Im sure i did it.

You wont need to replace the tuners or the bridge.

The humbucker is a distinctive shape, i dont think any after market humbucker would fit, unless routing was done. you wouldnt need to anyway.
  8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I love mine too, I can still get that Jaco sound out of it!(besides the frets)
    Plus I have the P-bass sound and almost any other sound. But, it doesn't have EVERY sound. It's very light too. The neck is so perfect.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    A Rio Grande Powerbucker is the only drop in replacement I've seen, or even heard of.

It's not a small pickup; it's two J pickups sandwiched together, size wise.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was amused by the first 3 responses - all reporting a problem of some sort.

I had and used one for about a year and was incredibly disappointed on many levels. 1st, I promise you - this bass sounds absolutely nothing like a MM. Not even in the ballpark. I play pretty much only MM basses now and IMO they're in an entirly different league in both sound and quality. My P-deluxe had tuners that I had to fiddle with everytime I tuned it, there was play in them. I took it to an authorized repair person and he told me they were all like that, it was normal. He also showed me a few of the same tuners he had there that had snapped on people, and told me it happens. It happens? If it happened at a gig and I didn't have a backup I'd be screwed bigtime.

The strap buttons both fell out and I was told I had to glue them in with toothpicks. The metal peices the strings go through fell out and the authorized repair person refused to glue them in because he said he didn't want to be responsible if glue got into the holes. Hmmm... what else... the knobs somehow lost their center detent, don't know how that happens - the midrange control had to be jiggled to work and another repair person told me it was some kind of ground issue. If I pushed down hard on it, it also worked. I could go on....

Didn't know how to adjust the neck when I got it because I couldn't get to the truss rod. Called Fender technical assistance and the guy told me I had to remove the neck in order to adjust it, just like in the old P-basses. Next day a guy at guitar center gave me the T handle wrench I didn't know existed and that's all I needed.

IMO the bridge pickup was useless except for tha Jaco-ish sound which I'll admit the bass got. It was incredibly thin sounding though and soloed it had no bottom at all. I guess the final thing that got me was I couldn't even sell it when I finally threw the towel in. I paid over $1000 for it, and eventually wound up trading it for a Hartke amp someone was selling for $500.

I did not have a good go with this "high end" Fender. Found everything I was hoping for in that bass (and a whole lot more) in the Bongo I got about 5 years later. Sorry to you guys who have the bass, this is just my experience and I guess I'm still kind of pissed because I feel I really got ripped off with the purchase of that thing.
  11. This is why I believe American Fenders are way to pricey... You're buying the name, not the quality.

Thanks to all the "testimonials" and reviews on this thread, my attention has shifted far far far away from this bass... I will however be purchasing a regular Fender "P" off of ebay or from a local store sometime soom... I'll go cheap so I can mod 'er out, which is what I plan to do.

Thanks for all the responses and posts... In the end, I just don't think that a grand is something I'm gonna spend, and then turn around and replace the parts, no way.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best P-bass ever made. I've played several fours and fives, and they are tone monsters and much more versatile than any other P-bass (and EB MMs). I'd never own another P-bass, but if I did, it'd be an American Deluxe P 5.
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Why no P, mun-ji?
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno, my first bass was a '65 P, and I've had a '93 American Deluxe Plus, but they just don't elicit a bodipka from me. I just can't get that bridge pickup sound I crave out of them, for some reason. No, I don't hate them, just no bodipka.
  15. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I agree, i never liked p-basses until i played and bought this one.
  16. saintx

May 30, 2005
    I had many of the problems Joe Nerve had. My bridge pickup was completely useless, one or more of the string ferrules came undone, and a tuner had a lot of wiggle to it.

I've had this bass for a long time and never really liked it until I put an EMG P/J set in it and yanked that POS preamp. Now I really enjoy it. I recorded with it last week and the engineer loved the sound we got out of it.

It and its brother:
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I would love for you to borrow a Bongo, take it to a gig with the P-deluxe, A-B the 2 basses, and then come back and say the same thing. Sorry - but the versaitilty thing you say simply isn't true, and I really don't even think that it's a matter of opinion in this particular case. I've owned and played both basses at about 100 varied gigs each.

Just want to add that 9 people here responded with their experiences with this bass, and 5 of them had problems. I think that says something.

I'll add one more thing. I think I go off on this and fender in particular because - A. As I already mentioned, I feel I got robbed when I bought the bass and I'm having a rough time letting it rest, and B. I get pissed that Fender is living off it's reputaion and seems not to give a damn whatsoever about the quality of what they put out these days. People will buy Fenders. Period. They know it. I've known countless people who know nothing about basses, buy new basses - and insist, "It's got to be a Fender." I think what Fender does is unethical, I think the price they charge is unethical, and I think if more people spoke up perhaps they'd put the care into the manufacturing of their basses that warrants the $1000 pricetags they put on them.
  18. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Joe. Just wondering. How heavy is the Bongo? Most of the
    Musicman basses I've seen were just too heavy for me. I
    must be a wimp. I thought the newer am dlx p 5's were light
    and balanced very well. Bongo weight??
  19. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    OK, here's an idea:

I had an MIA Fender P Deluxe and hated it, like you others. HOWEVER, I have since bought this bass:

It's the Fender Deluxe P Bass Special. Whatever. It's got a MIM alder body, a jazz width neck. "regular" p and j pickups (the J is a noiseless) and the MIA electronics from the older P deluxes. I had chandler cut me a black pguard for my silver, maple instrument.

Trust me when I say this--this bass has tone for DAYS. I don't know why. But the low end is HUGE and ROUND. The electronics are QUIET. I love this bass and so does my band (they're used to me on a Sterling.) At 559, it's a steal--AND you can drop in other pickups (which I expected to have to do, but haven't WANTED to! Wierd!