1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Deluxe Precision V -- Killer Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, May 31, 2011.

1. Whoa!

People have called the American Deluxe Precision 5 (ADPV for the search engine) one of the best 5-strings that Fender ever made and I can see why.

Fender has discontinued this bass and I also see why.

I've really begun to understand that many P-Bass players tend to like their basses "Point & Shoot." Two knobs, no waiting. They can be purists who want a minor variation on a single theme. No twiddling between pickups, no screwing around with a bunch of switches. Plug it in and let me hear the split-p pickup do it's pure unmitigated thing. I totally understand that.

On the other hand, there are some of us who like and appreciate that pure P-Bass tone but would like to tweak it a bit. Sizzle it up with more high end. Thicken it up with more bottom. Make it even more mid-focused to punch through a dense mix.

The ADPV gives you the ability to do all of that -- and with the Bill Lawrence pickup in the bridge, if adds just a little more complexity to the tone for some additional flavor. If a passive P-bass is like Salt & Pepper, the ADPV is like seasoned salt and Tabasco. The P tone is definitely there but there's some "Extra" in the mix.

I can certainly understand how P-Bass purists would shun this bass -- to the point where Fender would discontinue it and introduce it's totally passive cousin. I can also understand how some folks could fall in love with it for all it's versatility.

I know it's early in the relationship (let's chat again after I play it in [DEL]couch[/DEL] church this Sunday), but I definitely think that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship -- this bass kills!!!

[​IMG]

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    So can we officially call you Mr Couch Potato?:bag:

And I agree that the Precision Deluxe is one of the best basses Fender ever made.

3. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I love the basses of the 90's/2K Deluxe series. I don't know much about the P5 (it came to the Dlx series much later than the J5) but they did change some things over time. Electronics from 9V to 18V (2002), multiple-piece alder bodies w/ash veneer to alder or ash bodies (mid 90's). From the first pickups (single pole pieces on the J pickups) to Noiseless (1998) to SNC (2004), from massive Fender/Schaller elite tuning keys to Fender/Schaller Lite tuning keys (1998) to Fender/Schaller Lite keys in a more vintage clover design (2004) to Hipshot Ultralites (2007), the 5-stringers from 5-in-line tuners to 4 + 1 design in 2002. Available colors also changed a lot. Quite some variation, isn't it?

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Hey Iotanet,
    This is an amazing bass, I was looking for one for a long time and found 95 with a sienna burst finish ash/rosewood 10lbs... lovely.

The versatility is pretty awesome, eq is pretty cool, preamp is reasonably quiet with good eq points. I have the 18v pre. Records really nicely.

Here is what I think Fender should have done with this bass to make it even better.... put a passive switch on the bass and passive tone network. Even with treble rolled off, the active sound is pretty bright. This kinda loses the essence of classic Pbass which is a mistake. IMO. and if it had that one feature, this bass would really do most everything.

Sad they discontinued this version it covers a lot of sonic ground and really well made. For those that are considering a 5 string modern sounding P bass...if you get a chance to snag one of these basses... grab it!

5. There it is right there.

I think that the reason that the bass was discontinued is that the "purists" voted with their wallets and Fender listened -- hence the (excellent -- yet passive) American Standard Precision 5.

6. Well, well, well ...

I played this bass in church this morning and it was everything I'd expected it would be and more.

People love P-Basses because they sit in the mix so well. I've debated whether a P-Bass would get lost in the mix in a couple of different TB threads over the last couple of years. My conversations with a number of bassists have let me to believe that a passive P would get lost but I wasn't willing to bet 4-figure$ on whether or not this would be the case.

Everything seemed to indicate that an active Precision would be the answer and so I went for it. It turned out to be the perfect move.

A lot of people talk about the fact that "you cant get a pure passive P-bass tone" on this bass. That's true but in a big mix, I truly think you can't tell the diff anyway. This is a P-Bass! The added benefit is that the bridge pickup gives the tone some additional bite that's very useful. It's not a J-bass tone but it certainly gives the bass a more "Active" sound that allows it to cut more.

The other benefit is the 3-band preamp. I was able to dial in this a bit more midrange to cut and also some bass to thicken things up a bit. The bass positively smoked!

As I said earlier in the thread, I could see why purists might be turned off by this bass. I can also see how certain players could fall in love with it -- call me one of them.

This bass is fantastic!

7. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

glad your happY!!!

8. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    one day, I will own one of these. They're amazing.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Still one of the best basses I've ever regretted trading away.

I thought these were discontinued because of a tiff with Bill Lawrence and not because of lack of interest, but I heard that on the Internet so...

Interesting info about the pickup changes. My understanding was that the humbucker was unchanged from the inception of the design (using the Roscoe Beck humbuckers). Does anybody have any more info on this?

10. great bass man i put chrome flatwounds on my deluxe 5 and its a killer bass. might keep it now.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Stupid, stupid Fender. Once again they have something "too cool" and they move to discontinue it before everyone catches on!

I want one of these SO bad! I only hope I "get lucky" and find a used one before prices soar beyond all reason! I'm still looking for the discontinued SCN-5 pickups for my Jazz V. Cripes I should just make a list titled: "A list of really cool stuff Fender used to make and discontinued that I want really bad..."

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    The only difference is the coils on the ADPV are internally fixed. They don't have all the wires exposed for the series/par switching and coil tapping.

I just picked up my second ADPV. My first was an 06 ash/maple fb. This one is an 04 alder/Morado fb.

They are GREAT basses. I've had a BUNCH of Fender fives including the Roscoe Beck. I think the ADPV is a better sounding, more usable bass than even the RBV.

I recently have come upon some financial setbacks and decided to sell my trio of Sadowskys. I parted with two and when I saw this latest ADPV, I decided to part with the third.

I do miss the signature Sadowsky tone, but in terms of fit, finish and playability, the Sads have nothing on this Fender. Plus, the Fender is no tone slouch.

Further, the B string is actually better than the B on five out of six of the Sadowskys I have owned. Only the NYC M24 had a better one.

As for why they were discontinued, I don't know. Personally I think it was the price point. At the time, a $1,700 Fender was putting it outside the Fender niche. Now, not so much.

13. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    bottomzone likes this.
  14. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    E-gads… what’s the point? Like wanting a virgin who behaves exactly like a hobag…

Really, it’s okay- just admit you want a geek bass and be done with it.

:bag:

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I dig the 5 inline tuners also, the 4 and 1 is so goofy looking.

16. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I agree that they look better, but my experience has been, across the board with all Fender fives, that the newer 4+1 basses are far more resonant and sustaining. They just feel and sound better to me. Not sure why.

I have had three in-line 5 ADJVs and all three were comparatively turds against the newer 4+1 standards, AJDVs and, of course, the ADPV.

17. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I own the 4 string version of this bass. Lately, I've been looking to trade it for a passive P-bass V but no luck so far.

Of course, everyone here is making a pretty good case for it. Maybe I should reconsider trading it.

I have found the EQ is pretty decent. I've always been impressed with the different sounds you can get out of it. While it may not sound exactly like a passive p-bass I have found you can come darn close and more.

18. Chasarms

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I have always felt that any difference between "darn close" and "exactly" is going to get lost in the mix pretty quickly.

I'll trade that difference for the added variety and flexibility of the active circuit any day.

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

that's about the only negative I have about my Precision V. It's just a looks thing.

20. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yeah, totally cosmetic - the effective scale length is the same either way, and I believe the tension at pitch is as well. The new AMDP5's are great as well! Plus, you get the passive option, etc... (all mods that I've done to my older ADP5 actually!)