1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Deluxe Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Muller, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just tell me your opinion of this bass. I have my opinion, and I think they are a killer bass. I am just wondering what you think. Tell me your thoughts on build quality, woods, electronics, finish, and anything else relating to this bass.
    The one I play at work is sunburst with a rosewood board.

Dan

2. I had one. A white blonde with maple neck. Georgeous bass, excellant quality, attention to detail was beyond belief. The neck was better than my AmStd P. It was one of the finest basses I have ever owned in those aspects.

I sold it. Why? Because the sound was something that I just couldn't get used to. It had more tonal variations than a stray dog has fleas. But, even with all of its variations, I couldn't get it to sound like my P or my J. Close, but no cigar. I had to ask myself, why settle for close when I could have exact. I found myself playing my AmStd P more than my AmDlx P or my J. I found myself playing my J more than my AmDlx P. I found myself playing my RB-5 more than my J or my AmDlx P. So, I sold it.

Do I miss it? I miss the playability, although my AmStd is almost as nice. I miss its looks. It was a georgeous instrument. But, function has more importance to me over time than a pretty face and limited useful dimension.

So, if it works for you, its great.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't owned one, but I like a P-J setup better. I've played them, and they're very nice, but I couldn't get that single-coil bridge sound out of them. They sound great, but maybe not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd be more inclined to buy a Hot Rod P.

4. That's what I did with my AmStd P. I had it hot-rodded. I had an SD 1/4# bridge J pup installed. I also put a switch in so that I could switch out the bridge pup and its volume control when I didn't want it in or have it affect the P pup. I really like the end result.