Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Deluxe Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Muller, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Dan Muller

Dan Muller Guest

Sep 28, 2001
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just tell me your opinion of this bass. I have my opinion, and I think they are a killer bass. I am just wondering what you think. Tell me your thoughts on build quality, woods, electronics, finish, and anything else relating to this bass.
    The one I play at work is sunburst with a rosewood board.

Dan

2. I had one. A white blonde with maple neck. Georgeous bass, excellant quality, attention to detail was beyond belief. The neck was better than my AmStd P. It was one of the finest basses I have ever owned in those aspects.

I sold it. Why? Because the sound was something that I just couldn't get used to. It had more tonal variations than a stray dog has fleas. But, even with all of its variations, I couldn't get it to sound like my P or my J. Close, but no cigar. I had to ask myself, why settle for close when I could have exact. I found myself playing my AmStd P more than my AmDlx P or my J. I found myself playing my J more than my AmDlx P. I found myself playing my RB-5 more than my J or my AmDlx P. So, I sold it.

Do I miss it? I miss the playability, although my AmStd is almost as nice. I miss its looks. It was a georgeous instrument. But, function has more importance to me over time than a pretty face and limited useful dimension.

So, if it works for you, its great.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't owned one, but I like a P-J setup better. I've played them, and they're very nice, but I couldn't get that single-coil bridge sound out of them. They sound great, but maybe not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd be more inclined to buy a Hot Rod P.

4. That's what I did with my AmStd P. I had it hot-rodded. I had an SD 1/4# bridge J pup installed. I also put a switch in so that I could switch out the bridge pup and its volume control when I didn't want it in or have it affect the P pup. I really like the end result.