Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American deluxe V FMT??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Feb 5, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

I'm gassin for this Bass really Bad only in a 5 string. Have any of you played or tired one of these? What are/were your thoughts on it? I think it is one BEAUTIFUL Bass, I haven't been able to find one locally to try one out though. :meh:

2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Tampa,

Check out bassnw.com. They appear to have a used one at their store. Can't think it's going to last very long, however.

Bones

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks, I will check it out.

4. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    they are just more beautiful and more expensive than the normal deluxe models of fender. that's all for me... when they came out, they were the first to have new noiseless pickups and 18v preamp but now every deluxe is like that so there is only the better design.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've played one, and it sounded too modern for my tastes, Brad Johnson has one on these boards I think.

6. Well there's no denying that the American Deluxes are great basses. If you have the extra cash and want the FMT and gold hardware and such, by all means, go for it!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This one rules. I've had it a couple years, and it's my #2 gigging bass (after a Lakland 55-94). Great action, fabulous tone and versatility up the chunk. A great bass.

8. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Wow, That is a beautiful Bass!

Well guys I took the plunge and picked the one up from Bass Northwest!!

[​IMG]

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Grats on the new bass! Now when it comes, I want sound clips and more pictures and whatever else or else! :p hehehe grats! Hope you enjoy it!

10. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Congrats on the new bass!!!
    I've got an older (97) Fender Custom shop American Classic. Pretty much the same looking bass but with the pickguard. Until the new ones came out this was the only Fender 5 string jazz with binding and block inlays that I had seen. The Bart PUs and NTMB preamp as well as the Bad ass were added on but I love this bass and NEVER see myself getting rid of it even if I dont have the utmost confidence in Fender.

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I got the chance to play one (like the one that you have but with a maple fingerboard) and loved every thing about it.
    I am going to call the custom shop at Fender to see if they could do one with Bartolini Soap bar pickups/NTMB preamp,and black hardware.

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I usually despise fenders.

But the FMT and Roscoe Becks are great basses. The only two models, for me, there may be some others, that are consistently good basses.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Nice score TampaBlues :bassist: You won't be dissappointed with your purchase. I've had mine for about 6 months and I absolutely love it. Be sure to let us know what you think when you get it. That flamed cherry burst is beautiful.

14. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The top and the blocks/binding are really nice - and worth a premium over the Am Dlx from the cosmetic standpoint.

But I don't see it as "no different" than the Am Dlx - wouldn't the maple top brighten the tone somewhat versus a standard alder Am Dlx? Or does this not matter much for basses (as opposed to a 6-string electric)?

15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    WOW!!!!
    Those are really nice looking.