Fender american deluxe V tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B String, Apr 15, 2005.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm thinking of getting a used Fender am dlx V fmt. Its
    about 5 months old, so its one of the new models. Can
    anyone give me an idea about the tone on these basses?
    I've played an am dlx P bass V, so I have an idea of how
    the neck feels, but I haven't seen any jazz V's to try.
    Is there enough lows with the stock electronics? Gentlemen,
    start your opinions! Please!
  2. Owned 2 Fender American Jazz 5'ers and cannot comment on the preamp sound, they were passive BUT I will say the necks on both had dead spots and the B strings were floppy. I bought a Stingray 5.......HUGE difference in tone, sustain, and feel. Then I got my Lakland, same thing. Both basses eat Fender's lunch...although you pay more.....it's all about the tone.
  3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The passive Am. standards are nothing like the Am. Deluxe basses. The necks feel different, the tone is totally different. I got rid of a beautiful Fodera simply because my 2005 Am Deluxe 5 outperformed it in every way.
  4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree. The newer am dlx's are different animals from the
    MIM and MIA models. Better wood, rolled fingerboards, and
    much more done by hand. Better frett work and materials.
    When you consider the street price, it kind of seems like a
    good deal. I'm putting these basses up against the Sad's
    and american Laklands, which are both much more expensive.
    BUT!! I would still like some opinions about the low end on the
    stock electronics.
  5. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The B string is not THAT great. But it does produce low end... Other than that there is nothing left to be desired in this bass. It's great.
  6. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a FMT v jazz, it's a 2004 bass with scn pups in it. This bass is one one Fenders best offers! The pre-amp is fine as is the tonality of the bass. Not a harsh or boomy sound to be found, pups dead quite. I think alot of what you hear about fender 5 string basses have to do with poor setups. Iv'e noticed when I play other bassplayers basses they seem to lack proper setups, not all but most! I met a gentlemen last week with a 68 jazz bass that sounded nice and when I inquired about that bass he passed it to me, well to make a long story short I don't know how he was playing it. It was in dire need of a good setup! majority of bass players don't set up or no how to set up their basses never mind having a pro do it, this down the road leads to aweful playing conditions and complaint that "this bass suck's or the B is floppy" kinda stuff you hear Their are better basses out there but the FMT V is no slow leak! When those custom made bass owning friends of mine first saw and heard my bass they were suprised it was a Fender. :)
  7. So Fender has fixed the floppy "b" string? The rest of the basses I had were not cheap because they weren't the deluxe model, but the "b" on both had the exact same feel. Not bad but not great. I guess it's all personal preference. And the American Series has the rolled fingerboard and detailed fretwork as well. I'm pretty sure the only difference is the active preamp. Obviously the FMT is a different animal than the Standard American series.
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What the FMT V string does have different from the Standard MIA V is the dual string trees! maybe thats the reason for more focus and a tighter sounding "B" string.
  9. :cool: The necks on the AmDlx models are not the same necks as the necks on the AmSer or older AmStd models; 22 frets vs 20. The bodies are also not the same. The deluxe bodies are slightly smaller and actually a slightly different shape. Fender's AmDlx series basses are a totally different animal than the AmSer or AmStd. I've own both in Jazz as well as P-Basses.

So, even if you've owned a boat load of Fender's American made passive basses, if you haven't owned, or at least played a little bit, the deluxe basses, then you can't really make a comparison. No offense meant, but there REALLY is quite a difference.
  10. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Is there an active/passive bypass in the AmD5?

B...This is off-topic, but look what my father in law sent me. Cool, huh?
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No, there is no real need for one. The newer version with scn pups are very vintage sounding. Most active basses have that active sound but not this bass,Yes it's active but the controls give you a vintage sound and active bass at the same time! I have other active as well as passive basses and this bass straddles the fence.
  12. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I play a 99 Am. Dlx. V. I payed $650 for it used, and for that price it's nearly unbeatable. The electronics are quiet, the neck is stable, it stays in tune better than any bass that I have owned. A couple of months ago I had myself convinced to get a new bass, but after doing quite a bit of shopping, I couldn't find anything to beat it for my price range.
  13. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey lawboy! What kind of cigars are those? Perhaps its a hint.
    GET THAT DAMN BABY OUT OF YOUR WIFE!! and.... there is
    no switching, only active.
  14. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The label says "VSOP Toro". Hecho a mano en La Republica, baby.

I've got her out doing strenuous yardwork (nothing bad...just whacking out a few stumps with a mattock :) so hopefully we'll get her induced "West Virginia style" by the end of the weekend. :D

Time to go mow...sheesh...gotta play 4 sets tonight...

Um, something on topic: anybody J-Retro a Deluxe 5?

15. Well ok then....I've found that the general consensus among players I know(including obviously me) as well as most of the folks on TB is Fender makes an ok 5 string wth an ok "b". If what you say is true then so be it, I don't have much experience with the Deluxe versions. I still say my Stingray 5 and my Lakland will both eat Fender's lunch.... ;)
  16. Until this afternoon, I had a Amer dxl V with the active electronics, the older one (9v electronics). I loved it. Great tone, good B string, the electronics were the quietest I've heard, no hiss even with treble turned up. No hum. Great bass. I just couldn't quite get the MM tone, which I decided I couldn't live without.

I just traded it for a EB/MM stingray V about an hour ago. Just love that MM tone. Cost me $100 and my Fender, do you think I got ripped off? Don't care, finally got my MM....

17. :cool: And the beat goes on, and on, and on, and on!

It's a great thing to be happy with the instruments that one plays. A great thing!
  18. Well said.....
  19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings

Hey there man,
    I see you're still digging my "ex-girlfriend" !!! GREAT!
    After some lifting, new "vintage" frets, string tree... she got the right attitude!
    She is a very good "american girl"!
    Take care

20. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have 99 Amer Deluxe Jazz V, thats a mixture between TWo Fenders. I swapped the necks, so its an alder body with maple neck. the neck is stable, I've never adjusted it. The overall weight is I'm guessing around 8 lbs absolutely the lightest bass I have out of all 4. For the top/variety band I'm in, its my "go to" bass. It covers all the tones I need and plays great. The basses that stay at home which will probably be up for sale are: ash MTD 535, MTD grendel, Sadowsky Metro.

As I said before, I switched the stock pickups to Nordstrands, and the B string now has equal volume and girth as the E string finally. Its not a vintage tone, the Nordies are more raw and bright in the upper mids overall, not quite as sweet in the high end as the stock Fender pickups. But the low end is HELLO!

With the recent addition of a Mike Lull M5V, I should have the Fender vibe covered pretty well.

All I can say about the Fender is its the most comfortable "homie" feeling bass in the aresenal.