1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Elite Jazz - Ocean Turquoise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamvan, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    So I was browsing my local music store's website and noticed they got in a brand new Fender American Elite Jazz in ocean turquoise. After I cleaned up my drool and checked my credit card limits, I browsed the pictures. All I can say is "wow." A $2100 bass and the neck is out of alignment. G string is hugging the edge of the fretboard all the way down and the E string is moved way over the inner pole piece on the pickup. May only take a loosening of the 5 bolts (?!) and a slight tug but I'd think for that much money, the pocket would be a bit tighter.

Edit: @eastcoasteddie pointed out that the neck is likely fine but the strings need to be repositioned on the saddle.

This is a picture of the actual bass. Not a Fender Promo pic.

misaligned neck jazz.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    pudge and Eugene.thomas87 like this.
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Most likely the bridge is off, and not the neck. Those neck pockets, even the ones on my Squier’s, are very tight.

But looking more closely, it could probably be saved by setting the strings evenly in the multi-grooved saddles.

Thumb n Fingers and Glazenn like this.
  3. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Doh! I’m an idiot as that’s likely what it is. The E string is in the innermost groove on the saddle. Now I might have to go play it.

Glazenn and eastcoasteddie like this.
  4. kn38ms

kn38ms

Mar 25, 2017
    NW, FL
    When I took delivery on my new Elite the E & G strings were the same way.
    Re slotted the strings in the multi groove saddles and all is well.
    The necks are amazing on these!

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    That's is Fender American QC !!! Shame......

I own few Squier CV bass and Cort bass, all have no such problem, yes, they are Made In China and Indonesia.

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Speaking as someone who's taken a year of photography and has maintained the hobby over the decades, I'd advise everyone reading this that a photograph can sometimes appear misleading. :snaphappy:

True-life example…I sent some quickly snapped pics of a neck to a TB member interested in buying it. His first response was to ask about an apparent twist in the neck.

I knew the neck was straight as an arrow, but I took a closer look at the pics I sent. Because of the slightly offset angle I took the pic from, it did indeed appear to be warped.

So, I went back and took a couple more pics, making sure the angle was dead-straight-on by lining up the face dots and violá…the apparent warp (that was never there in the first place) disappeared from sight. Ultimately, the sale went through and everyone was happy. The end! :woot:

The moral of this story, kiddies, is self-apparent…a picture may be worth a thousand words, but some of those words can be anything from genuine misunderstandings to outright lies. ;)

7. Use a longer lens. Wide angle causes distortion I’m sure you know.

FenderB likes this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Base on the OP's real shot photo, with my 28 years photography experience, the shot is no off angle at all. And I believe the lens OP using is 70mm lens or above.

Ppl who know how to shot a good quality image and good lighthing setup like OP, is the guys who expert in photography and know how to use his gear for product shot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. My take, non issue. If not an off angle shot, a 2-3 minute fix DIY. Next.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Quite probably probable, but nothing beats good ol', hands-on pawin' & eyeballin'. nudge__nudge__wink__wink__by_billy_pilgrim_zps0enmquq0.~original.

11. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Ocean Turquoise is sweet. :cool:

Jamvan likes this.
  12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    ...use a smaller aperture to minimize distortion in a zoom lens...
    Or just use a Prime...

(Just how many bass players are also into photography...???)

13. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    It has binding so I don’t think the G is as close to the edge as you pressume. Looks like the E & A need to go a notch left and the D a notch right but the G is fine.

Now this Stingray Anniversary has a misaligned neck-
    067B8451-D1D3-4177-A2DC-CD4C2E526398.

Jamvan likes this.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I saw another much older stingray in that same condition once. That looks like some error during the building process as the bridge AND the pickup are too far over to one side. The neck joint is what it is, everything else has to line up. Thats just sad.

15. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    I played a Fender Pro Series 5 string in a music store and it had the same problem. The G string was too close to the edge of the fretboard and it would keep jumping off the fretboard unless I was very careful not to pull the string downward. I looked at the bridge and the G string was already at the innermost setting. I wonder if this is an issue with all modern Fenders now.

16. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    It kinda looks like there is a gap on the B side so most likely the neck shifted in shipping or somewhere it took a good bump. Strings just fit on a SR5 neck anyway so they've got to be right on. Last ones I saw the body's were routed out on each corner of the neck heal to allow them to be aligned. Seems silly in the day of CNC precision but that's EB.

Doug Parent likes this.
  17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I played an Elite at GC once and there was no issue with alignment. I wonder why this is happening when you pay $$$ for an American instrument? I've seen Squire's with better consistency.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Please don't fool PPL...... distortion and aperture is different thing....

19. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Binding against a white background looks to be "issue" with the g string.

20. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Lol