Fender American Hot Rodded P-Bass vs Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Dec 23, 2000.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've been playing bass for a little over a year now and need a new bass. My Ibanez GSR 200 w/ EMG's just isn't cutting it, so I'm looking to get a new bass. I've been considering my options for a few months now, and I think I've narrowed it down to an Fender American Hot Rodded P-Bass and a Peavey Cirrus. I want a bass that will be able to cut through and that would be good for punk, rock, reggae, and slap; which they both seem to be, so I guess I'm just wondering which one you would get and why.

2. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive not had a chance to try the new Peavys.From what i hear including BP Mags review they're excellent.I have played the HR-P.Nice bass but i prefer the A Std P.It sounded to me like the J pup was "bleeding" in even with its vol all the way down.It has a brighter more aggresive tone than the std P.Anyway,if you decide to go with a Fender,at least the old/leftover MIA Std's now IS the time.Both MF and Zzounds have great deals going on them.Also check the FDP site for "Offbase"s A series Jazz.I can vouch for him as a good honest person you can trust to buy a used bass from.Remember this is the "new" American Series Jazz so its quite a good deal he's offering.If i hadnt just bought an RB-5 id grab it myself.Good luck!
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    The Peavey is the clear winner.
  4. ButCirrusly

Dec 11, 2000
    Most definetly go with the Cirrus! I've had mine for a year now and it has never let me down on tone, playability, sustaine or punch! Excellent "Bang" for the buck! It's also a very beautiful piece of workmanship!
    (But this is only my opinion!) Check out some on the Bass player mags on the reviews!
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of these 2, definitely the Peavey.

Better in workmanship, neck comfort(if that's important) and versatility.

And the Peavey is a great looking piece of furniture as well!:p
  6. Mega71

Dec 25, 2000
    I'd get the Peavey Cirrus myself. Kinda thinking of getting one down the road. The 2 best basses I've played off the shelf were both Cirrus basses. And I'm often suprised how lousy the fenders play off the shelf-usually I have high epectations of them because so many of my favorite bass players use them. Every time I pick one up off the shelf though I'm let down.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Cirrus all the way!!! I have had a Cirrus 5 for about a year now, and I still haven't found anything to complain about with it. Great tones, great balance, light, super comfortable neck, and, IMO, killer looks. I have had absolutely no problems with it at all.
    I have tried out a couple of Fenders MIA models, and IMO they aren't in the same league with the Cirrus models. I imagine there is an army of diehard Fender guys out there who are gonna want to kill me because of saying that, but hey, I am entitled to my own views, right??
    Anyway, go with the Peavey. I promise you you will be happy with it.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have no idea which one you should get:D

I really like the Peavey but... I have no idea how it sets in a live situation. I'll leave that to the people here who actually have played one live ;)

Played alone it does seem to be less punchy than a stock P (or should I say a different kind of punchy). My guess is that since they sound similar to a Ken Smith (to me) they may sit in the mix the same way. That's neither good nor bad, it just is.
  9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have played mine live many, many times. I play through a Firebass 700/810tx. I run direct to the board via a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I feel that my live sound is very good. I have gotten many compliments on my sound (several from other bass players). I have never had a problem with not "cutting through" the mix. The Cirrus does have a different sound than the Fender, but hey, they are two totally different basses.

Like is always said, it all boils down to what you like and what you are comfortable with. From my experiences, I prefer the Cirrus hands down. But that is just my opinion......