1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Hot Rodded Precision Ash any love?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Red Planet, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Banned SUSPENDED

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Any guys here played/owned one?

Just pulled the trigger on Flebay for one of these. I'm pretty much an Ash P-Bass Player and thought I'd give one of these a try to have a second Bass with some other Tonal Options.

Heck I may even have purchased from a TBer and not known it.

FenderHotRod.

2. I have one in Transparent Sunset Orange and I really like it.

P1050458.

I will tell you that the single coil Jazz pup drove me nuts noise wise so I installed a Fralin set with a stacked Jazz noiseless and it's now one of my "go to" basses.

3. BTW,

For my tastes, D'Addarrio Chromes on this bass are my first choice.

4. dangerkirk

dangerkirk

Mar 31, 2008
    Owensboro, Ky
    I want your basses.

it saddens me i can't find one

5. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Still have the sunburst '00 HRP that I bought new. These are great basses, perhaps the best factory-built P/J Fender has ever made aside from the recent Tony Franklin sig model.

I have TI Jazz Flats on mine...tone to the bone.

6. studio848

studio848 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    SoCal, SWFL
    I have a couple; love 'em. enjoy!

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    These show up in a hundred threads here. Example. Note my comments near the end concerning mine.

Yes, I have one of the Sunset Orange ones. $499 at GC when they were discontinued.

Funny, I saw a like-new used one in ash sunburst at GC a while back for $499 as well. I hadn't seen the sunburst before. Looked interesting.

These were the "Hot Rod" prior to August 2000 and "Hot Rodded" subsequently.

8. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

I did a search and didnt find much. Perhaps I need a tutoral on Searching TB.

It is supposed to be here tomorrow.

For those that mentioned the PUPs in this one have been changed to Duncans and the J PUP is a stacked humbucker. It does include the originals as well. I got all the original goodies, three pickguards, and a Hip Shot.

I can not wait til I get my hands on it.:hyper:

I have been using as my main axe a CIJ reissue Sting Bass and just love it. I play Frettless effortlessly as well as 5 and 6 string Basses but for a number of years now I have strictly beend using the simple ol Fender 4 Stringer Fretted and nothing else.

I guess I have just developed a taste for it with no desire to do anything exotic. The addition of the Hot Rodded will be my getting wild from what I have been doing. :D:hyper:

9. That looks AWESOME. :hyper: I'm totally jealous :crying:

10. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Received it today. The guy did an excellent job packaging it.

The Bass came with this exotic wood pickgaurd that I've never heard of. It looks like Rosewood and matches the fretboard. First chance I get I'm gonna install it.

11. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i would love one dam

12. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Have one in black. Absolutely great tone. I was never a p bass guy until i picked up this bass. Its my main player.

13. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Not been able to really try it out yet. Had to go to Odyssey of the Mind compettition with my Daughter. Will get to put it through it's paces Sunday Night.

14. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Ok setting here pondering the whole tonal question about these after searching some threads about them.

Like I said I will not be able to play mine much til tonight.

The reason I purchased this Bass to start with is I had one similar before and wanted another. Back years ago I had gotten Curbow to drop a J PUP in the back of a traditional P Bass and do not remeember having any trouble at all. I used Bartolinis at the time as I knew Bill and could get them direct.

Why wouldn't anyone just want a traditional sounding P Bass and then go for a J PUP that matched the output of the P not looking for a traditional sounding J Tone since they are clearly playing a P Bass with an added PUP.

15. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    YOU GONNA LOVE THIS BASS! I have converted 2 p-basses before these came out, and did'nt do a great job on either of them. So glad they come from the factory like this now. Pickup choice is endless. How much?:bassist:

16. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    OK got to play it for a while finally.

Note to self do not buy a Bass without Playing it.

This is definately a great Bass but there is a catch. The neck is too small, not quite like a J Bass but definately not a P Bass. It plays like a Dream, real fast just not what I like.

I do dig the sound of the two PUPs together, that is a nice thick twang all at the same time. Did not notice any issues with either PUP, of coarse they were changed to Duncans and the J is a Stack.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I want a second Bass but now I'm perplexed. :eek:

17. The neck is too small??? A Hot-Rodded P bass should have a P-bass neck with a modern “C” shape, 1.625" (41.3 mm) width at nut and a 9.5” Radius/241 mm fingerboard. Fender's HRPB neck has the same neck specs as the Tony Franklin Fretted Precision Bass.

18. fenderbass6

fenderbass6

Apr 5, 2009
    We match..... Kinda haha

2q82bnr.

19. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Well maybe that is where I'm getting it wrong.

I play (as I said earlier) a CIJ reissue P Bass (the Sting Model).

I havent measure anything but the string spacing is definately smaller and the neck is thinner. This thing to me almost plays like a J Bass not a P Bass. Now my 99 P Bass had the same neck as what I have now.

All that being said I might could get my Tech Kerry Marchman to do some magic to it. Probaly make a new nut with just a tiny bit wider spacing, do some spacing adjustments at the bridge, and raise the action up some to make it more difficult to play. He may have a trick or two I'm not aware of.

I guess I should qualify my playing Technique as well. I play only with my fingers and I play extremely aggressive. My strength is rarely seen in most Bass Players. Most of the guys I come across have a much softer less energy attack. That is not to say I do not have dynamics, I can play sofly when I need to but when there is some fast Boogie or 7/4 Beck being laid down I am giving those strings a wallopp.

Right now as it is this Bass is too dang easy to Play. Like a Jazz.

20. Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cool.

I love Jazz Basses they just have too small a neck for me.