1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender American Jazz (08) player's views on Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamaha, Apr 1, 2009.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    OK, so last year, I picked up a beautiful 08 Fender american jazz that I love. I tried many MIM's, Squires, and different Fenders, all jazz models, before settling on my 08 Jazz.

I had not the chance (at the time) to try the Vintage modified or the Classic vibe, but I still am quite happy with my MIA. But recently, I got to try both.

First : Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass.

Quite beautiful, and a very good tone. The playing of it was also very pleasant. But, way too much lacker and bindings. I could not at all ''feel'' the wood. And the grain of the neck was just ok, not very nice. Still a mighty fine bass for the price.

Second : Squire Classic Vibe Jazz.

Wow, what a beautiful bass. Perfect finish in all aspects. Extremely close to the MIA in quality finish, and I guarantee, no one will notice the tiny differences between a ''real'' Classic jazz and a Squire CV Jazz when you're on stage (multi ply pickguard, etc...). Tone was just a bit better than the VM Jazz, but still not as sweet and warm like a MIA. Neck grain was very close to perfect. Unfortunately, I just didn't like the small frets on the neck. Well made neck, just not my thing. If it had bigger fret wire, I would have bought one as a back up on the spot. I still might.

Congratulations Squire on 2 very nice basses