1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ron_a218, May 6, 2006.

1. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    Just picked up this 5 string and bought some D'addario round wound to put on and the big diameter of the B string won't reach the nut by about an eighth of an inch. They were long scale but I guess since this bass has a through body bridge it made them too short. Only had a problem with the B. I'm not particularly fond of these strings at least at first, they're better after a few days . They were very clangy at first ( like most new round wounds) but the fretted tone was good.

Anybody have a suggestion of some round wounds that fit this bass. I play fingerstyle and did do a search. I plan on trying several types and even maybe some flats but I don't need to buy any that won't fit. Thanks, you guys are great. Ron A

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    That's weird, i used D'Addario's EXL 170-5 on my Fender 5 strung through the body when I had it, and they worked fine. Is yours the passive model or the deluxe. I do know what you mean though because they won't reach on the B or E string on my 35" scale schecter Elite 5.

3. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I haven't tried much with my new G&L 5 string, but it has a string-through bridge and came stock with SIT strings. They were surprisingly nice. I have since changed then to DR sunbeams and they are excellent - clear and warm at the same time. I will probably try the nickel lo riders next, but will go back to sunbems if I like them better. From what I've heard, DRs are long enough for most any bass. I got then at www.stringthis.com. They have great prices on DR.

I was looking into Daddarios too and I belive you'll need the super long scale to go string-through.

4. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I use D'addario's on my Fender Dlx 5 and MTD 35" 5 they seem to have enough length. I get the long scale set not the extra longs and I do string the Fender through the body.

Maybe regular strings got put in a long scale package???

5. ron_a218

ron_a218

Apr 18, 2005
    My jazz 5 is the passive with all 5 tuners in a row on the head stock as apposed to some that have the G on the bottom. I don't think either arrangement would have any impact, just scale length and extra length to go thru the body. These were the D'Addario EXL 170-5 long scale. Maybe I just got a short B. The closest music store is 40 miles and they don't have alot of choice especially 5 string. They did have a good selection of fender, Smith and Dean Markley, anyone use these? Thanks

6. KevinMG

KevinMG Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    I have 2 through body Fenders - an American Deluxe P-5 string and American Jazz 4 string.

You will want to look for strings with a 37" scale length to the silk or taper. Look at the Bass Player string review for a better list with the scale length. Here is my experience:

D'Addarios in the normal long scale won't reach when strung through body. You will need the super long scale if you want to string through body. I don't know how others have successfully used the long scale without the B on 5's and E of 4's falling about 1/4" short.

From my experience DR's (Nickel LoRider & Sunbeam) & Dean Markleys (NPS Roundcore, NickelSteel) fit easily. I'm sure that translates to other models in these brands. SIT makes a special set for G&L that is longer for through body and has a tapered B. I made the mistake ordering the standard set once and fortunately SIT was kind enough to send me what I needed.

Right now I'm liking the Dean Markley NickelSteels. Less tension than D'Addario, more than DR. Strong mids, mellow top and settle in nicely. They also have a nicely finished look with a grey/silver silking. Reasonably priced too. My second favorite is the Sunbeam - I like the flexibility and they tend to have a more hi-fi tone.

Good luck.

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have a set of DR Hi-Beams on my 5 string Fender at the moment. I think they sound pretty good not that they have settled a bit. They are very ruff on my hands though, even more so than the MTD strings I use on my 535. I don't dig how flexible they are, they seem to have alot of string travel, especially on the B. This keeps me from getting the action as low as I would like. Though, perhaps I need to shim the neck or something, i don't know... Anyway, they sound pretty good, and I am able to string them through the body.