Fender American Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 13, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone.

At a local store near my house, they have a Fender 3-tone sunburst Jazz Bass. Highway 1, American made. And it's listed at...1,600 i believe they said. Well they're selling it for $840 canadian. Apparently this is a KILLER deal. It plays INCREDIBLY They need to lower the action alot for my liking though. But besides that, beautiful. Any Pros and Cons about this bass?
  2. 840 Canadian is pretty decent for a Highway 1, if it's new. Usually you'll get one around 900-950 plus tax. It's generally not as good as a MIA standard but it's pretty well-built, just has cheaper hardware and pickups. Try it out and see if you like the sound. If so, it's a cool bass since you already like the feel.
  3. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I'd say the price is very high. In these parts, the Highway 1 goes for $550 American-----much less than the $840 Canadian even with the exchange. If you look hard enough, you'll come up with an American Series for the $840 Canadian. Last year I bought an American Series Precision for $600 US, new old-stock, and not a mark on it. Used they go for as low as $540 in mint condition.

Look around---you'll do much better, guaranteed!
  4. Apollo11, where do you find a hwy 1 for 550? Even on line they're running 669.00.
  5. Fishman

May 24, 2005
    Hamilton ON
    It's no deal, they've got them here in Hamilton ON at Mountian Music for the same price. You can get the American Standard Jazz for about $1,299CDN. In fact that is what I paid for a tri-tone Jazz with Maple fretboard. Before you pick up a Highway 1 make sure you play one of the American Standards, I found a huge difference in tone and playability, they're great in comparison (in my opinion) and worth socking a little extra away.

6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I sold one used last week for C$ 600.00 in mint condition. Steve's Music store in Montreal has em new for 850 but I am sure they would let one go for around 775 or 800. I really liked the bass but needed the bucks to help fund a new amp.
    Only drawback is the finish, which dents and scratches pretty easily. If you are careful though it shouldn't be an issue. If you want to save some bucks buy used. Prices on Epray average around USD 400 - 475.