Fender American Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEllO, Jul 12, 2005.

1. MEllO

Apr 23, 2005
    :eyebrow: Hi im looking at my third bass and like the Fender American Jazz does any one have anything good or bad to say about this bass or what better for fender?? :confused:
  2. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The american deluxe is a nice bass. They're versatile and the bridge pickup sound is great. Good onboard eq that seems to work very well live. The B on the 5's (if mine is anything to go by) is ok but not the instrument's strong point. The string spacing on the 5's is also a little tight which you may or may not like.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The string spacing on the 5 is the same as the spacing on the 4 :eyebrow: . The "B" on my FMT V sounds fine :)
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 1997 USA standard (passive) Jazz V. I love it.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I have a 2003 American Series four string Jazz, and it's my number one bass overall. The playability, feel, and construction are outstanding, the S-1 switch is useful, and the tone was decent with stock pickups. I recently upgraded to Lindy Fralin Split Jazz pickups, which are a major (albeit expensive) improvement, but I thought the stock pickups were okay. They provided great results recording. (They should be better for the price though.)

You should try as many as you can, and select the one that has the best balance of playability and acoustic resonance. I got lucky with one that just sings, and feels like it comes alive in your hands. That resonance translates into serious punch through an amp. I don't think they're all like that.

So, I think it's an excellent bass that compares favorably to the Lakland Skyline series, but those come stock with Fralins which give them an advantage in the tone department. If you can find a Joe Osborn or Daryl Jones Skyline at a good price, you certainly wouldn't go wrong.

Let's put it this way: I like this bass enough that I don't think I'll ever sell it, and I don't even have much GAS for boutique J clones like Sadowsky, Lull, etc. And I'm very prone to GAS!
  6. I own a standard American jazz and like nedmundo i also have extreme GAS for boutique J clones like Lull. when i got the chanse to play a lull i must say that it was a great bass but i much prefered my Fender to the Lull. the playability of the Fender is top notch and the sound even from the stock pickups is great, though it can get muddy if you run it at anything other than full volume. i noticed that the construction quality on thelull was better but it did not effect the playability. what i mean is that on my fender i can stick 2 notecards between the neck and neck pocket in some places on the treble side, and one on the bass side, the pickup routs arent so tight you cant pull the pickup out or anything like that because it is a production line instrument and is not made to the tolerances a custom shop would use.

all in all it is one of the best feeling, playing and sounding basses ive ever played, and is IMO a very good deal for the price
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    too easy to understand men.....We love Jazz Fenders....oh my :bassist:
  8. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    The spacing is noticably tighter on my Jazz 5 than my 5594 which is not a bad thing, it's just different. Personally I prefer more space for slap. The spacing at the bridge is much wider on my US std 4 string jazz compared to my US deluxe jazz 5. The 5str jazz was my first five and much to my suprise I found the hardest thing to adapt to was not the extra string but the narrower spacing.
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I hear what your saying about the spacing, I myself have a couple of dlx jazzes as well as standard jazzes and MIA basses have side to side string spacing adjustments. It is possible to change the spacing at the bridge but spacing at the nut remains the same, When I speak of string spacing being the same I'm talking about the nut spacing. That's what I meant when I said the spacing is the same.
  10. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    got a 2004 mia jazz! and i love it! ive had many diffrent basses over the years and the mia jazz has a tone all of itself!! no wonder so many pros. use them!!!!!!! :bassist:

p.s. the stock pups are ok
    i upgraded mine with Q.P.s great lows and highs! :cool:
  11. VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I also have a stock MIA 2004 Jazz, with the S-1. I love it. So easy to play. By comparison, my main axe is a Manson fretless, which is a different thing, I also have a G&L Tribute (slightly cheaper) and owned a Ric for a while. The off the shelf Jazz blew everything away.

I am seriously thinking about selling the Manson to get a fretless Jazz, although my wife is putting up fierce resistance (she is our singer and loves it, although that's mostly because it looks very nice - as she says, a work of art - in our living room).

Anyway, back on topic, I think the current model MIA Jazz is a great buy. The tone is all in the lower mids, you wouldn't choose one for, say, dance, or to make anybody's chest shake. You need roundwound strings and the bridge with just a bit of neck p/u to make it sound good slapped. But in most environments, it sits so well in a mix and comes across as being the bass without being all at 40Hz. So it translates well both live and recorded.

Fenders of course also hold their value more than most brands. Just buy it, you'll love it.