fender american jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rich37, Jul 8, 2002.

1. [​IMG]

I'm thinking about buying a 5-string, and sell my 4-string fender jazz bass(passive)
    In Europe these cost about 1400$

It's in mint condition, there's no scratch on it.
    1 year old.

Howmuch should I ask for it when I'm going to sell it???
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have no idea what that bass is worth in the Holland. More than it is worth over here I suspect.

How rare are Fenders over there?

If the answer is "very," you may be able to sell it for about what a new one costs if it is indeed like new. If new ones are readily available, perhaps 70-75 percent of actual new cost seems reasonable. Over here, about 65 percent is the norm, but I suspect used Fenders would be a bit more rare in Europe.

Looking into local classifieds, websites, dealers etc ought to give you some ball park of its value.
  3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, here in Italy a mint J bass sells for Eur500,00-600,00 range...
  4. Thanks for the info!

I have a four string in B-E-A-D normally it's
    E-A-D-G but I took the fourth string(the G) away "cause I don't use it anyway.

The problem is now that the B-string is too loose to slap, if I do it sounds awfull!!
    I can't find a solution to thighten up the string.

Will this problem be solved with a 5-string fender??
  5. You'll definitely have a B-string :)
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  7. so slapping on the B-string always sounds bad.
  8. I have no experience with 5-string Fenders, but I have heard that the Roscoe Beck signatures are nice 5ers while the rest aren't so great.
  9. I personally like my four string fender a lot, but I hate the B string, I wish it had the same tightness a the other 3 strings.
    "cause slapping is now impossible, and I love slapping!!
  10. Hey bassplayer 7770,

That Roscoe Beck signature is that a jazz bass too?
  11. Yeah, it's not too uncommon for a 34" scale bass to have a floppy B-string.
  12. So that's the main issue??

If I had a 35 inch would the problem be solved then?
  13. As a general rule, 35" scale basses will have a tighter B-string, but it also depends on other factors. Some 34"ers have respectable B's.:)
  14. WOW!! the thing looks awsome!!

As far as I know only the ibanez BTB has 35" scale length, but I hate ibanez.
  15. There are plenty of 35" scale basses. Peavey makes some for example.

Like I said, there are likely some 34" 5-strings with good B's. Of course, I've never slapped on a B-string, so my 34" scale Carvin B5 is fine by me.
  16. Oh, and as for the Roscoe Beck sig, yeah, it does look great! I hope they make it into a 4-string sometime!
  17. I have a Reverend Rumblefish 4-string with 34" scale. I also have a Carvin B5 with 34" scale with Swamp Ash body, Birdseye Maple fingerboard, and the equivalent of a MM/J pickup configuration.
  18. You've been a great help, thanx!!
  19. I tried. Keep in mind that I have no idea what you have available in Holland. Good luck in your search!