1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Jazz "BIG HORN"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Anyone ever seen one of these? I found a 1993 Fender American Jazz Bass with the top "horn" being substantially bigger than normal.
    I have never seen one before.

2. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    They're called boner basses.

3. Any ideas what there are worth?

4. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Last one I saw in great shape was $800.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think the neck is slightly longer and the bottom cutaway deeper making the upper horn look longer. The "boner"

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    That`s right.
    First runs also had TBX control knobs (with the F logo).
    Has 22 frets and the longer upper horn was designed to accomodate the longer fretboard.

They`re usually a bit cheaper than a MIA Standard Jazz.

7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada

Heh , he said ... boner .

8. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    Pics please? Very curious about this

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Here`s one I used to own (built in 1993)

Attached Files:

10. Hmm, I don’t see it - in the pic the horn looks like it’s at the 12th fret, which is normal - what am I missing?

11. Mtnman

Mtnman

Jun 5, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think it only appears longer due to the deeper cutaway on the treble side.

12. Here's pics of my '89 "Boner" Jazz bass:

DSC00351.
    DSC00354.
    DSC00355.

13. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I used to have one of these. The bass has 22 frets instead of 20, causing the cutaways to be deeper. It also has strat type knobs and a TBX tone controle. They were made like this from 87 to, I believe, either 94 or 96. Despite the odd shape, it will fit into a post 97 case.

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Upper horn extends about a fret further than a typical jazz bass, in addition to deeper cutaways. I think they ran from '89 thru '94. I have a '92 that I played a bunch back in the 90's. Great build quality, horrible design quality...... horribly tame pups, and a bridge that is just too freakin' wide. I modded mine a bit (new bridge, pups, tort guard, bone nut, hipshot, knobs) in order to overcome what I thought it lacked. Now it's a great bass! My ear gravitates more towards P basses these days, so mine doesn't get a ton of play, but it sounds and plays great. I keep it around for those times when a J is required.

And since they usually run a hundred or two less than typical AmStd's, it's a good deal. Put a few bucks into a std bent plate bridge, and some new pups, and you're good to go! The TBX is actually a killer feature...... up past the detent and it sounds very modern and hot. Below the detent, and it sounds like a good ol' passive jazz.

15. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I changed the bridge on my 93 to a Badass and changed the pickups to Seymore Duncan quarter pounders. I also ditched the tax ( a mistake) for standard wiring. It was a good bass, but just never looked right to me, a think it was the angle of the pickguard at the neck. I switched to a 97 American Standarrd Jazz and never looked back.

16. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Oops should be TBX not tax.