Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5-string

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Slater, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I haven’t played this bass for over a year, and I haven’t really needed a 5-string for a gig (and I don’t foresee needing one), so I’m going to let this one go...

I am the original owner of this bass. I bought it in January, 2000. The bass has a 1999 serial #, but has the 2000 upgrades – Bi-pole noiseless pickups and Deluxe light-weight tuners. And, the bass was drop-shipped to me directly from Fender. It never sat on display in a store.

The bass has a Swamp Ash body with Fender’s White Blonde finish, and a Maple fretboard with Abalone dot inlays. The electronics feature a 9-volt preamp with Master Volume, Pickup Blend, Stacked Bass/Treble, and Midrange knobs.

Unfortunately, this bass has a couple of cosmetic flaws. (One night during a break at a gig, some drunk knocked the bass over, stand and all. The stand is what actually did the damage). :(
    On the back bottom edge of the headstock, just about in-line with the 3rd tuner, there is a ding about a half-inch long. Also on the upper “bass side” of the body, just about in-line with the neck pickup, there is a staggered scuff mark (see pics).

The tone and playability of this bass are great. When I was checking over the bass to get ready to sell it, I almost changed my mind. It is currently strung with Elixir Nano-web strings, and the frets are in great shape (although they could probably use some polishing).

Also included with the bass is the original Deluxe Tolex case (see pic). The case has some nicks and scuffs, but is in good overall good condition (The interior is excellent). Fender strap locks and T-handle truss rod tool are also included.

I'm asking for $850 shipped (in the lower 48).

If you're interested, please e-mail, private message, or post a reply.
    (I'm very busy during the weekends, so if you contact me, please be patient while waiting for a response. Thanks!) :)

Thanks for looking! :bassist:

2. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Full front & back:

3. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Headstock front & back:

4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    These are the best pics I could get of the cosmetic damage mentioned above.

5. Sweet bass! How's the B on it?

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Body front & back:

7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Very good... ...with the right strings. The orginal Fender B-string that came with the bass was floppy. I've used Pedulla, DR Lo-Riders, and the currently installed Elixir's, and the B-strings with all of these brands have performed very well.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, I'm not really interested, but wanted to know what you thought of the string through body vs traditional thru bridge (in any aspects)? Thanks,

Ray

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not to pick but those pictures are really blurry! Hard to see anything clearly!

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sorry, I'm not going to be much help on this one. I always went through the body on this bass.

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That's because my photography skills suck! :oops:

I took most of the pics with the flash off to reduce glare and wash-out. On my camera, when the flash is off, the shutter speed is reduced and the pics come out blurry...

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I thought the pix looked fine. It's a beautiful bass.

13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Replies sent to all of the interested buyers.

Thanks to everyone that has shown an interest. :)

The bass is on hold. I received a deposit, and now I'm just awaiting the balance.

Consider it Sold! :D

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a 98 Fender American Deluxe V, and when stringing through the body, I suggest using tapered E & B strings. I love mine.....great bass!!! :cool: