Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American JAZZ Deluxe bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Apr 14, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    HI, Anyone out there got a Fender American Jazz Deluxe 4 bass. Good basses? or can you do better in the jazz bass market? The look a wee bit on the price heavy side for what you get. I don't wan't to offend any hardcore FENDER lovers out there, but i have always hated the bridges on Jazz basses!!

Anyone ever tried replacing the American deluxe jazz bass bridge with another bridge?

Anyone got a Picture of the Teal finish bass with maple neck? The only one i like the look of. You think Fender could offer some better finishes!! Some figured top's?

What about the sound of the new 3 Band version?
    Does this mean it's going to go up in price?

Thanks!

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    if you don't like the look of the MIA Deluxe Jazzes check out the MIA Deluxe Jazz FMT. that'll give you a figured maple top i believe. Other than that i don't know much about and haven't played a deluxe fender. Play em if you can to find out if you like them or not. thats all

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi Again, I understand your point about trying out a bass before you make a purchase. I live in Scotland, and to be honest most stores here only stock your standard type basses.

I purchased a MODULUS Flea bass not so long ago after hearing great things about it. In retrospect i should have really given the bass a test first, the problem is not the sound (amazing sound) it's the precision still neck that i don't care for.

I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback about the Jazz deluxe bass. I know MR MARK KING used then for a while, but then he moved on to some other bass (GB? now Status!!)

Thanks

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    my badd. check out harmonycentral.com for some reviews if no one else responds here. thats all

5. I have a Fender Deluxe FMT (but its a 5), yes they make 4's too. Best bass I've ever owned. Its not a bass I'd be willing to rip the bridge off and replace though. I like it just the way it is. :D BTW, I ordered it without ever having played one (they arent stocked much here either, as they are pricey) - of course I had played American Fenders before though.

I recently got a used G&L 4-stringer, its excellent too. Its an SB2 model, jazz bass.

Greg

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three 5 string Jazz Deluxes (one Blueburst, one Shoreline Gold), including an FMT (figured top). I also have 1968 (Sunburst) and 1978 Jazzes (natural). I don't have any issues with any of the bridges, which are different. They each sound like their own particular type of Fender Jazz and I like them.

The two passive Jazzes sound different from each other, one Deluxe has a J-Retro, the other two have the stock three band EQ. All three Deluxes sound different.

So, what are you looking for?;). Here's my FMT:

[​IMG]

Here's the rest:

[​IMG]

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I like mine. ;) I've played other Jazz-type basses that sounded very good. They did have a different tone from the Fenders and I've always liked a Fender Jazz. The one on the left is the American Deluxe.

[​IMG]

8. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I've got one and I love it. It's a slightly different shape from the USA Standard Jazz, but, IMO, that's a good thing. It's light, balances well, and fits a wide variety of styles.

My only gripes so far are:

1)I've broke two or three 'G' strings in a row when playing LOTS of slap on it. I believe that the problem was the string thru bridge.

2)I was having a minor prob with a humming bridge p'up. But I've resolved this using the miracle of clear nail polish.

I got mine for 899 pounds sterling three years ago, and I'm very happy with it.

9. Fender Jazz basses are nice, but...
    [​IMG]

Need I say more?

10. My apology on the double posting, but one attatchment per post and all..:rolleyes: :D

That and I just love this bass.

[​IMG]

How's that for figured tops? :p :D

Oh, and the price was much better than Fender could ever do.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's one. It's a '94 and it's a five, but bitchen nonetheless. Not quite as bitchen as Brads FMT, but Brad's ain't quite as bitchen as the one in my next post.

[​IMG]

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Here y'go.
    [​IMG]

13. mines the best :D

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually mine has more figuring than what shows up in the picture.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thats a pretty sweet set up ya have there Munji. Whats that on top of the WT head? I cant quite make it out.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That's a Korg DTR-1 tuner up there.

17. They are excellent basses. What was it about the neck on you Modulus you didn't like?

Modulus does make a Jazz copy that is very, very nice. I would say they are superior to the Fender jazz.

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a '97 AmJazzDlx fretless that I like very much. P/u's are the large, single pole types; very punchy and I also like the stock Fender pre, unlike many who feel compelled to replace it. Based on the one I own, these are quality instruments with an excellent tonal range. Workmanship is good, too.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I like the stock Fender preamp too. I found two MIA JD5's cheap and then had the opportunity to try a J-Retro in one so I did. I still like both basses... almost as much as the FMT.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There was a nice Jaco fretless available recently for less than $800. Seriously thought about picking that one up.