Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Jazz Deluxe Preamp Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 11, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just purchase a 1998 Jazz Deluxe. Pretty good sounding bass, but not spectacular. I think I've read of people here replacing the preamp with a Bartoloni or Aguilar. Does this help to open the sound up? I'm actually surprised at the lack of treble coming out of this bass. I suspect it might be the stacked humbuckers which don't have the same bite as the original single coils of the standard jazz bass. I don't think I'd want to replace the pickups as I do like the quietness of the stacked humbuckers.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own the same bass and never turn the treble or mid knob past flat. Even when I boost the treble it is very clear and cuts throgh like a ginzu. Try changing to fresh strings and changing the battery because mine is crystal clear even set flat.
    BTW the pre and pups in that bass is designed by John Suhr.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    my question is the 2005 Jazz Basses are goods sounding basses,i think about get one of those 2005.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Yep, my 1999 MIA is sharp as a tack sounding treble wise. Its not the pickups chief.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    and my '97 is incredibly trebly (I love it)
    and Doug, yeah yours is sharp as a tack too (I love it too :) )

6. I have a 2005 w/ the 18v preamp and I love it! Try one and compare it to yours if you can.

Lovely preamp and pups in the new one.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Those basses have Samarium cobalt noiseless pups and as wonderful as they sound they sound refined and tame compared to the 96-98 9volt pre. What he is stating is his bass lacks highs, all others here including myself are telling him something is wrong with his particular bass not that model dlx bass.

8. +1
    I just traded one in for a SR5, had it for years. Unlike James Kirk, I never had any trouble with trebles.

Its not the pickups or the preamp. Try new battery in the bass and new strings.

Check your amp for tweeter/treble turned down, or try another amp. That bass is a funk machine, plenty of highs, unless either the batteries or strings are dead.

Randy

9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    thanks,maybe in two months i get my all new 2005 Deluxe

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine is a 2002 which has the 18 volt setup but not the Samarium cobalt pickups. It has plenty of treble- I can't imagine a situation where I would crank the pot all the way up. :eyebrow:

11. Slap a J-Retro preamp in there and your problems will be solved. I had a Marcus signature that had a U-Retro and I could dial in as much of any frequency as I needed, very versatile.

12. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I don't know, maybe I'm comparing this bass too much to the 1992 Jazz Plus I owned about 7 years ago. That bass had the Lace Sensor single coils that had a brighter tone, although they were noisier. I've installed a new battery and new strings (D'Addario XLs), but I've been running it only through my Bag End S-15D (no horn). Maybe when I get my Avatar B210 hooked up the treble response should be better.

Anybody here installed different pickups in a Jazz Deluxe and gotten a better sound or are the stock pickups about the best you can get?

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Play the bass through a different setup, it would be hard to hear highs from a 1x15 cab with out a horn.