Fender american jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Dec 27, 2005.

1. pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    O.K., I've read most of the American vs. Mexican Fender posts but I could really use a little insight here. I've saved my nickels, dimes and pennies and have just about enough $ to get a Fender American Jazz Fretless. I've played the mexican version but not the American yet. This would be my first fretless bass (although it does have fret line markers) and I was wondering if this bass is worth the extra $$. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
  2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Actually I would look into the Fender Japan (CIJ) '62 RI fretless. Much nicer bass for the money (and much cheaper to buy). The quality, fit and finish is much better then the MIM and MIA I've played (or owned). The rosewood finger board on mine seems much harder then the MIM fretless I had, this less wear. Also I like the little details like on the CIJ bass they use real wood for the fret lines as opposed to the White plastic stuff used on the MIM bass (Not sure what they use on the MIA model).

Plus the vintage look is stunning (IMHO)!
  3. wanna sell me that fretless ? :D
  4. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    Great looking bass! Where did you buy it?
  5. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

$716 delievered to the USA (Florida)
  6. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If they're making that Reggie Hamilton in a fretless, I'd check into that...I like the features...particularly the active / passive switch.
  7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I really like my USA fretless 4 banger. It's not real practical for classic rock, but we do an occasional jazz gig.
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The American Basses are generally a pretty good bet. On the fretless, the killer for me was that they placed the dot markers right on top of the fretlines. I realize this may be my personal issue, but I found that highly disorienting. I am comfortable either with no fretlines and the dots right at the fret positions, or with fretlines and the dots at the normal positions in between the lines. I know it sounds weird, but having the lines with the dots right on them totally throws me.

So, I went with an MIM. If you look in that direction, be sure to locate one built in 2001 or after. The Mexican factory had a major quality change in 2001. The basses produced after that time are substantially better instruments - night and day.