Fender American Jazz or Ibanez!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eupharies22, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    Im getting a new bass, cant decide what to get! Im in a 3 piece rock / punk band, mxpx style! the bass needs to be able to hold its own, as it has a major part in the band due to only having a guitarist!
    I wondered if any1 could list the procs and cons of each bass.... as im really stuck for choice! If i chose an ibanez maybe the srx650... or if sum1 has another good choice!
    Id like to hear it!
    Thanks

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    They're both going to be decent, but they are fairly different style wise. Either would work fine for punk, just play and pick the one you dig.

3. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    What do u mean different styles? what would u say an american jazz would tend to be for, ive played one and u can get a lovely clear tone!

4. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    +1

i say jazz all the way, the styles are very different because they are flat out very different sounding basses. (IMO) the jazz feels/ plays more comfortably. it sounds better, more warm and will mix with other instruments better. most ibanez basses are overly bright and the srx to me sounded very cheap & brittle, i don't think it would really compete with a fender. if you want to compare a fender and an ibanez, check out the SR prestige series.

5. if you want to play downtuned, i'd go ibanez, but if you are only going drop d then a fender am jazz will do you good (get a 5'er)

edit: ibanez is known for its infamous floppy b, watch out for that

6. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    I have both MIA Jazz and a 5 string Ibanez SR505. Both are very different and sound nothing alike. Passive versus active, 3 tone controls on the 505 versus one on the Jazz, different feeling necks. You'd probably have to play both before you could decide

7. Eupharies22

Eupharies22

Dec 26, 2007
    What about the ibanez atk 300? Reckon id be able to get as much tonal variation out of that as has 3 pickups! Just the atk is like £350 cheaper than the american jazz, would this price difference show when playing or?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021