Fender American Jazz - S1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxcitizen, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I recently bought a Fender jazz with the new(ish) S1 pickup system and was wondering if anyone else has one and what you think?
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have the p version and i love it.

one of my friends has that jazz, its good. im not big on the neck, but it sounds really good.
  3. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I just got one this weekend. I plugged it in as my wife walked into the room, started playing some old Queen on it without the S1 switch engaged. Hit the switch to get the P-bass tone, started playing "Another One Bites the Dust" again and her eyes widened and she just said "Whoa!". I think she has a fleeting understanding of GAS - almost.

Simply said, from my brief association with it, a Jazz with the S1 switch gives you both classic Fender tones and then some - and isn't that what you'd want from it?
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, I have one. The S-1 knob arrangement broke, so right now it has a regular Jazz Bass knob on it (I've ordered a new S-1 knob). Doesn't matter, I haven't really found a use for the S-1 deal, although that's not to say that I won't. I bought this one because it's the best-sounding Jazz Bass I can remember playing. I've had it for several months now, and haven't found anything that sounds better to my ears.
  5. The S-1 knob is a clever invention. But any passive Jazz can modified similarly with a toggle switch to parallel the pickups.

I've read reviews on these basses and they said pretty much what you guys are saying...
  6. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have one and like it. Although I prefer the standard jazz tone, occasionally I find a tune where that sound doesn't fit. Engage the S-1 and roll off the tone just a bit and I'm usually good to go.
  7. You are quite correct. Anyone that knows how to solder and has a basic understanding of pickups wiring can easily add a series/parrallel switch to their Jazz.

I just bought an American Jazz with the Upgrade S-1 switch in Sunset Orange. I am really loving this bass. I think the neck is awesome as I have smaller hands and fingers. The rounded edges on the neck are really nice. I have typically been a Rosewood person, that is until now. On a bass the maple is very nice to play. This bass is a bit on the heavy side so a padded wide strap is in order.
  8. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    I love the sunset orange finish and maple fb. I'd put a tort pick guard on it. Anyway, i think the S-1 sounds great on the jazz, not so much on the P bass.