1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender American Jazz - S1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxcitizen, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I recently bought a Fender jazz with the new(ish) S1 pickup system and was wondering if anyone else has one and what you think?

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i have the p version and i love it.

one of my friends has that jazz, its good. im not big on the neck, but it sounds really good.

3. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    I just got one this weekend. I plugged it in as my wife walked into the room, started playing some old Queen on it without the S1 switch engaged. Hit the switch to get the P-bass tone, started playing "Another One Bites the Dust" again and her eyes widened and she just said "Whoa!". I think she has a fleeting understanding of GAS - almost.

Simply said, from my brief association with it, a Jazz with the S1 switch gives you both classic Fender tones and then some - and isn't that what you'd want from it?

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yeah, I have one. The S-1 knob arrangement broke, so right now it has a regular Jazz Bass knob on it (I've ordered a new S-1 knob). Doesn't matter, I haven't really found a use for the S-1 deal, although that's not to say that I won't. I bought this one because it's the best-sounding Jazz Bass I can remember playing. I've had it for several months now, and haven't found anything that sounds better to my ears.

5. The S-1 knob is a clever invention. But any passive Jazz can modified similarly with a toggle switch to parallel the pickups.

I've read reviews on these basses and they said pretty much what you guys are saying...

6. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have one and like it. Although I prefer the standard jazz tone, occasionally I find a tune where that sound doesn't fit. Engage the S-1 and roll off the tone just a bit and I'm usually good to go.

7. You are quite correct. Anyone that knows how to solder and has a basic understanding of pickups wiring can easily add a series/parrallel switch to their Jazz.

I just bought an American Jazz with the Upgrade S-1 switch in Sunset Orange. I am really loving this bass. I think the neck is awesome as I have smaller hands and fingers. The rounded edges on the neck are really nice. I have typically been a Rosewood person, that is until now. On a bass the maple is very nice to play. This bass is a bit on the heavy side so a padded wide strap is in order.

8. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I love the sunset orange finish and maple fb. I'd put a tort pick guard on it. Anyway, i think the S-1 sounds great on the jazz, not so much on the P bass.