Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender American Jazz VS. Fender Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oliver, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Ok, im want to get a Fender Jazz sometime soon but im not sure which one to get.
    What are the differences? Im want lots of growl, whats the cheaper one?

thank you

Oliver

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My MIM Deluxe J has all the growl in the world.

3. From the Fender Site.

Fender American Jazz Bass -
    The original Jazz Bass was introduced in 1960 and since then it has become a staple for players of all genres and has set the standard for bass tone.

The latest American Jazz Bass features the original body radius and contours, slim neck, off-set waist body, two single-coil bipole pickups, and detailed fret and nutwork. A solid premium wood body enhances the tone.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. go with the mexican jazz.

5. http://www.studio79.com/manymusicbuys/bass-electric.shtml

Fender® Standard Jazz Bass®
    List $599.99 - $649.99

Fender® American Jazz Bass®
    List $1,284.99 - $1,477.99

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    As someone who owns quite a few jazzes I would say if money is not an option get the new American jazz. Standard jazzes are great basses and are now made of alder but they are still entry level Fenders. I own two standard Pbasses also and while they are nice the Mia and Mij stuff IS better. The new MIA jazz comes with a switch that switches pup configuration from series to parallel or vise-versa. Really sounds good too. If you want to put into perspective what the difference is between the MIM and the MIA basses just think of the door to a Corolla slamming closed and the door to a Lexus closing. True they both will get you where you want to go but witch one whould YOU want? If you still can't decide, talk to people who have and play both. Go to a store and play as many basses as you can and then decide.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Some folks here have bought the mexican Jazz and replaced the electronics and hardware. Ran into a guy at an open mic night we hosted that did this. I would suggest looking for a good used American made one if money is an issue. That's what I did. (twice) and am very happy with my basses. :bassist:

8. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Hang on, is the Standard Jazz also know as a MIM?
    cause i cant see any MIM on the fender Site just MIA

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    mim= standard

10. You can get them made in mexico or made in America.

The MIA's cost more, this is why some people purchase the MIM and then replace the guts with better parts.

I have both and I did upgrade my MIM....all the guts.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If it's for no other reason than its cheaper than the American made Jazz WHY !

12. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    It would be nice if MIM jazz's had maple fretboards. I bought a Mexican (i love saying that) and replaced the pickups and bridge and i'm really thinking about putting a J-retro in it.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Spending money like that I think is a waste, The bass will have no resale value (it will still be a Mexican bass), no graphite reinforced neck, less than stellar tuners and what about a case or decent gig bag? The best money (money not an option) is the MIA bass. Remember you'll get a rolled fingerboard premium body and the case is included. There will be no need to move up to a MIA jazz later. JMHO

14. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I agree with you. I'm going next weekend to go check out some MIA Jazz basses (and most likley going to buy one). I'm not going to sell my MIM so resale value is not an issue. :)

15. For me it really had to be the American Series Jazz, I find it outstanding it leaves the other versions standing. I just sold an Alembic 20th Anniversary, beautiful bass but I honestly find the Jazz more playable for me. Go for the American Jazz...

Stu

16. I'd go with the American if funds allow, I've had both and found the hardware on the MIA, and the sound to be MUCH More solid. The pickups on the MIM standard seemed to distort easily, I don't know if that was both pickups feeding into each other and becoming microphonic or what. But my MIA leaves my old MIM sounding like something I got at Toys-R-Us! Plus the new MIAs have the series/parallel switch for a deeper humbucking like sound. Details below:

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0193460

HEY>>> anybody notice the knobs in the above picture, they look cut off. Is that a new design feature, or a picture flaw (left j-bass pic)?

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I played one of those new jazz basses yesterday and I must admit they are very nice. The switch makes it worth having even if you have a bunch of jazzes already. I would consider it but im currently gassin for a sunburst 62RI pbass.

18. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    This is probably beginning to sound like a broken record, but I'll share with you my experience. I've got two MIM jazz basses. One of them is fretted and it's my main axe that I use for most gigs (especially Contemporary Christian stuff). I got lucky and got a really good bass. It has really hot pickups and massive low end with still nice sounding high end. My other bass is a fretless MIM jazz. I put flatwounds and foam under the bridge on it. It's about the closest thing to an acoustic sound you can get without an acoustic. Basically, if you get a MIM, you've got to check around for the best one. Because, I've played a lot of them where if there are two one will definitely play better than the other (a lot of guys in the stores have told me this as well). My dad has three MIA jazz basses (Jaco sig, Victor Bailey sig and FMT 5-string). He does a lot of the same gigs as me and his basses most definitely sound better. The MIA jazzes clearly are of higher quality, and in my opinion, are really the best basses out there. If keeping the cost down is an issue, I would check around for a nice MIM and you will definitely be satisfied. If you've got the money, score a MIA jazz and you'll get a killer high quality axe.