Fender American Jbass OR Fender Deluxe Jbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MEllO, Jan 31, 2006.

1. MEllO

Apr 23, 2005
    :confused: :confused: Fender American Jbass OR Fender Deluxe Jbass? is a question I have been asking myself can someone help???:(......I can get them for the same price.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What are the years? Also, what do you want? Do you want a preamp, where you get tone shaping on the bass, or a nice and simple passive wiring?
  3. MEllO

Apr 23, 2005
    I think there both 2005's..... prob a preamp.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Then go with the Deluxe. I have a 1997 deluxe, and it is fantastic.
  5. Deluxe. The deluxe's are purely amazing! Awesome preamp, pickups and versatility. These babies do everything. They are made to very high standards. Better than the standard IMO.

Try both of them out, see which tones you like better.
  6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    With seeing each instrument, I would recommend the MIA Jazz Bass. 9 times out of 10 it is a better built instrument. Better fret setup, better neck (graphite rods in the neck) better pickups. To me ears, the preamp is a little unnatural sounding. You could probably get a bartolini or aguilar on Talkbass for between $40-$75. Also the MIA has the string thru body setup which can be cool if you like it.
  7. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Is the deluxe and American? If so, I'd go with that. In fact I did. Unless you're a diehard for the natural passive sound, and there's obviously nothing wrong with that, get the deluxe. The preamp gives you a lot of tone options.
  8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The American Deluxe does have string thru body and a graphite reinforced neck. It is a killer bass with excellent fretwork, a nice finish, and lots of tonal options. Mine (2002) is my favorite bass.
  9. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Also to consider, is the body shape. The Deluxe has a smaller body which is not automatically comfortable, at least for me. I find hard to find a comfortable playing position/height for the plucking hand. Also the Deluxe has 22 frets and the design puts the first position a little farther away than a regular Jazz (the neck feels longer).

Just things to consider. You should definitely play both before you buy.

Soundwise, they both sound great. The Deluxe, as mentioned, is very versatile and I personally love the preamp and the modern sound. The classic passive Jazz will sound, well, like a classic Jazz.

The new generation of Deluxes have excelent craftmanship and the action can be setup very low if you want.

My only objection to the Deluxe's is the body shape.
  10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a 2005 am dlx jazz V. Had a passive switch put in
    for emergencies. The pickups sound the same in passive
    mode as with everything flat on the eq when its engaged.
    Very usable sounds. From somewhat vintage to modern.
    Good basses.
  11. i would have to say an MIA standard they are just lush
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the Deluxe for sure. They cut and cut and cut. Mine is THE punchiest bass I've ever played. Now...the standard MIA is great to. The only reason I didn't get the standard was that Fender didn't offer an MIA Jazz V with a maple fretboard. The SCN pickups are nice (although I'm going to bart mine) and the new 18 volt pre-amp is an improvement over the pre-amps offered before 2003.
  13. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I have to agree on the Deluxe! I have had mine since 2004 (I currently have three other Fenders, as well) and I reach for the Deluxe first...it is an outstanding bass.

The one (and only) complaint that I have about mine is the battery compartment could have been made slightly larger...it is sometimes a pain to change batteries.

Other than that....it is an absolute winner!

14. The Deluxe tends to have better craftsmanship, in my experience. Especially the new ones - the necks are just so comfortable, with excellent fretwork. The tone is also an important choice, however. My 97 Deluxe is terrific but it isn't seeing as much play time as my passive J simply because I'm digging that sound. If I were playing a different style of music or looking for one bass to do it all, the Deluxe would definitely be there for me... it sounds like a boutique bass!
  15. Check the Jazz Deluxe thread up the top of the page.

That will convince you to buy a Deluxe! ;)