Fender American Neck mounting Hole Indentations

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Relsom, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I don't know if this is the right forum for this, so mods...feel free to relocate....
    Anyway, I just received a neck from our classifieds section and was alarmed at the odd indentations around the two E side mounting holes. I was holding off on feedback until the seller could explain since it was sold as mint.
    However, after searching the classifieds for more American Standard necks, it seems there are more with this than without. I could see the factory milling in a little countersunk area to combat installation hole pucker... but that may even make it pucker worse come to think of it. And it looks to always be on the E side, never the G side of the neck. Anybody have an explanation? Here's some examples...
    IMG_20200819_210623.jpg 2014 Jazz.jpeg 2018 P.jpg Another weird neck drilling Sigmafloyd April 2020.jpg Hey heres that 2008 again Bikeguy57 Oct 2019.jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 3.04.55 PM.png

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It looks to me like the drill bit has a stop on it and they ran it a bit aggressively. More sloppy than I would expect on a top of the line neck but it shouldn't have any impact when installed.

Turnaround and 202dy like this.
  3. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Has some one used washers between the neck and body?

4. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    maybe that's where they fixture it for spraying the finish?

duncmill and RSBBass like this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I have only speculation as to why the indentations are there, so no help. However I’m very puzzled that you’re “alarmed” by them. They are insignificant.

Now I will guess why they’re there. It was made in a factory with fixtures that do these type of operations. Generally when we see a machine that drills multiple holes in one operation you will see a steel sleeve slide down under pneumatic pressure and the drill bits run inside sleeves. The sleeves clamp while the drills drill. the air supply is from one source that feeds the fixture and a manifold of some sort splits the air to the areas required. It is not a precision split where each point will get exactly the same pressure or will move down at the same rate. My guess is that the manifold feeding these sleeve clamps are in series and therefore the pressure that drives them down in place is unequal, resulting in two holes striking down hard and fast and the other two slower and with less pressure. This does not affect the operation of drilling the piece but some divots get struck in the wood. They are insignificant.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    JLS likes this.
  6. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    maybe, or if they were done on a fadal or a haas there would be no bushings. same with a gang drill.

7. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    After seeing this on many examples in the classifieds I will agree that "alarmed" is not the proper word, although it was my initial reaction. I was thinking it might have been plugged and redrilled....or had washers set in to correct a twist or unlevel condition on the heel or in the pocket. I've had lots of necks off of instruments and have never seen it before.
    I have 4 American Fenders that have not had the necks off, and not about to just to find out.
    I'm sure this neck is OK, just seems Weird that the American Standards have it.... and only on the E string side.

8. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    on all of those pictures except for the last one with the "fender" logo branded in you can clearly see the lighter finish in the effected area.

duncmill likes this.
  9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, that's where the "holding stick" was attached. A wood or metal stick is attached to the neck using two of the screw holes. The painter holds the stick while he sprays the neck, then plugs the stick into a rack while it dries. The stick has two standoffs or stacks of washers around the screws, to keep the stick off of the heel surface so that paint can get in there. The indentations are from the standoffs or washers when the screws are tightened.

Nothing to worry about, marks from the factory process.

RSBBass and 96tbird like this.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Oh yep, of course. :bassist:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021